when to set the hook

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Apr 17, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    wen do you guys usaly set the hook or pick thr rod up, i think most all wait till the flat hamers it down or u get a stead click, but acording to this guid thats only the despet hungry flathead, he says thats not there typical bite , also he says you got to find them, seems complicated id like to give him a ring, he says they suck the bait in and sit there and his poll just pops never bends, beats me, but its true ive seen it done they puled twenty in one day not night by a dam, i was there i never got one to even bite, im happy to say i got a 40 25 and a 25 channel last fall,

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    man i set when i feel the weight. they can hit like a train or they can be there when you go to reel in your bait. lol your usually safe when you feel the weight though.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Its never the same, you just have to get a feel for it. That only comes from catchin fish.:wink:
    If they dont already hook themselves with the Kahle then I hold the rod, pointed towards the fish, wait for the line to get tight and stay tight, then I set the hook.
    Tightlinin is the way I do it and it WORKS.:smile2:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Depends on what style hook your fishing also, but usually if it is worth the trouble, as soon as ya get the rod out of the holder, LOL.....

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Slik, there is a time when some fish congregate by dams. It's pretty early in the year, when the water temp is 50-65 degrees or something close to that. Maybe someone has some better research to that. It depends on how much the flow is also. It depends on the dam, lowhead dams get flooded and the fish just go over or at least that's my theory. When this whole scenario works out, there are rocks and current and the fish aren't feeding that aggressively. They're hanging out in way more current than they usually would, hunkered down behind a rock or in a small hole. If you hit them on the head with a bait, they'll maybe take it. It doesn't matter so much what the bait is. Early spiring, you'll hear lots of stories by dams of flats being caught by people fishing for walleyes and such. They'll catch them on blobs of worm and soft plastics and stinkbait and all kinds of unlikely things. They'll catch them snagging too. There's a thread about people snagging them in the kansas or nebraska forum that I read once. The idea was, it's real hard to watch em get caught by snaggers when you can't catch one by targeting it! I watched the video you posted. It was very good. He was right, you have to be in exactly the right place to pull some of those things off. That takes a lot of time and error to figure out. Get your hooks wet. Josh

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    One more thing, a lot of these fish seem to be caught during the day than later in the year.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ill bet there just snaging there lip , i cant do it ive tried thin to increas my catch rate, i wana get at least 1 a night, but im on a bank, any tips increasing my6 hookup rate, some say to let the fish hook itself, while guids on the river sat it only works that way wen there swiming around, the guid says a flat wont move around much, unless its nesseary, thats why u never get them like channels they wait for the bait to come to them but its not -possible if your on the bank

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    when to set the hook ....

I like to set the hook, when I see the rod double over pretty hard. It all depends too. Those little cats seems to peck at the bait. Sometimes you'll never know their on. If it's a constant pecking, then I'll set the hook. Heck. I've had big cats too, that pick up the bait with the greatest of ease. You'll see your line go tight, and then set the hook. When I use the circle hooks, I grab the rod and start cranking. The circle hook, pretty much sets itself. I really like these hooks and depend on them alot for better hookups and release ratios. I really like the thought of not having to cut the line because the fish swallowed the hook.

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try a 1 ounce jighead with a good stainless hook hook a live bait in the head and bounce it down on the bottom like a jig. I have done this to fish rip rap before. Seen guys do it with large shad plastics to. Just like bass fishen ya get a feel for it. I flat sometimes whomps a bait hard or just sucks it in and holds it. But ya know when one takes.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I set the hook when the fish is about to pull the rod out of my hnads. You have to be patient especially when using mono.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish from the bank 100% of the time and will set out my baits, put my rod in the bank rod holders and when the 10' rod is doubled over and touching the water and line is stripping off of it....I grab the rod out of the holder and reel him in.:cool2:

12. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Trying to tell someone when to set the hook is a lot like trying to tell
    someone when to take a shot with a rifle. It just come thru experience
    and trail and error. One word of advice is make sure your line has all the
    slack out before you before you try to stick him so you get the full benefit
    of the set. If you can see the line tightening up and slack coming out right
    before its tight cross his eyes. When he feels you let him feel it all.
    When fishing a tight line its pretty easy set the hook when the rod loads
    up and bows toward the water.

13. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    I fish from the bank and when I get my 1st bite I grab the rod and feel for that frim tug then I set my hook, unless the line goes real slack, then I start reeling in, holding my rod straight up in the air. The action of your rod can throw you off if your watching it for a bite. Thats why I put my hands on the rod to feel the bite.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems to be a disputed thing, all i know is wen there moving around they will run, but if its daytime or there in ther nest they wont hamer it , but lakes differ from rivers, dams are the best if your bank bound but ive got to learn how to get the cat to latch on ,also them channels will rip line off like a big flat, and you get know hookset, as for now im sticking with the nighttime methe fishing around structer, and letting my circals kaels do the work takes my concentration off the lite bite, im going on a expert gruid trip to the rock river, ,he gets them wile there holding 15 a day, crazy, check out cattmatt jones semanar on you tube, hes in leag with the boc i beleive, id like to see him join in, this dude knows how to fish, also on a side note in pen state flats are infested my brotha 15 20 pounder all day long, they kill em like carp out there, im mad, lol