When to respool? Put new fishing line on the reels now?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Jan 17, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I normally dont start fishing until march,would it be ok to go on and put new line on the reels now or should i wait until closer to march?With the crazy weather we are having i may get to go before then but if not i didnt know if it would be ok to go ahead or wait a little while,any advice?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I usually dont respool unless its frayed deep into the spool or the line seems to be getting brittle, breaking way too easy. I bought a new spool of berkley big game 30# last year and it got taken off after the first trip out that spool was junk I dont know if It had been sitting on the shelf forever or what but I won't be using big game any more. power pro, andies, or cajun red for me!!!

3. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Well i dont have any line on my reels right now, i usually change the line at least once a year.I just didnt know wether it would be ok and put fresh line on to get ready so do you think it would be ok or should i hold off?

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it isnt going to hurt as long as your reels stay out of direct sunlight.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    right thats what will brake down line the fastest. mono will usually last a few years if kept out of the sun

6. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sometimes I change 3 maybe 4 time a season. It all depends on how harsh of conditions you're fishing. That line goes through alot on each outing.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it's ok to respool you reels now, like dink said keep them out of the sun..I usually put new line on my reels 3 times a year, depending on use.

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    As long as you keep it out of the sun, your ok. Direct sunlight and heat are the real problems with storing line. I usually buy Big Game in 3# spools. I've has some two years and it is still great. I keep it stored in my pump house in waterproof box so it stays dark and cool.:)

Frank

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I may spool a reel w/ new line but only use that reel 2 times all year, then go back & respool. This year I'm not doing that. I've respooled just about everything I have. If I only use selects reels/rods a time or two, I'm not respooling. That can get expensive.

Red Caujun just came out w/ a line call "Advantage". It is meant to stay on reels longer, sort of like braid (it 100% mono though). Also sas it protects agaisnt UV lights.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i am a cheap bas###d so i only respool if my reels get really low. if i dont break off a lot one year or have a lot of frays i will reverse it the next! 2 years is my max though.

11. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    When using braid you can always spool it back on another reel leaving the unused portion to be used. I used spiderwire it frizzed and turned ribbonlike in about a half a year. Took that off and respooled with power pro and have yet to see that problem. When it cost 30 bucks to respool my penn or abu 7000 i'm goin to spool off the other reel and use the unused portion.

I tend to stay away from mono for the simple fact of putting all the line i can on my reels. They are all spooled to the reel with powerpro, that way there is one less knot that may fail. Just the way i do it.....

12. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I agree you should be okay putting line on now. Personally I am going to hold off for another month or so. Are you planning on putting braided line on or monofilament ? If you are planning on putting braided line on then you may want to be careful as to make sure you line doesn't make contact with anything while you pole is sitting. If mono, keep it out of heat and sunlight so that it doesn't begin to stretch on you. And remember if you fill them up now, you'll have to look at them for the next month and a half and really get cabin fever!

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    What kind of line are you going to use, braid or mono or alternate between the two. Braid can handle about anything, mono as have been said needs to stay out of direct sunlight. But hey go ahead and change it wont hurt a thing. Use strong knots to attach to the reel. Never understood about reusing line off another reel by spooling it onto another reel, I know most of the time all the line isnt used but that is a chance I wont take. If the line is used their is a chance of breakage, but then again I have not had a fish spool me yet.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I respool my reels a couple times a year. Plastic line which is all that mono is takes a beating from the sun and everything else that it meats. That and the longer it sits on a reel the more it remembers and stays coiled. That said you also want to spool your line a couple days before use so it has time to settle on the reel.

15. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Id be using mono line and i store my Abu 7000s in the house so it wont be in direct sunlight.I would be putting 20# cajun red line on them,one of them is getting 30# trilene big cat line.I just didnt want it to coil up if i put it on to soon so i didnt know if it would be ok to go ahead and spool them.

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If you have some free time , then that is the best time to do it. I don't know of a better way to spend free time than on messing with fishing tackle, of course going out fishing is better. I mess with my tackle alot during the week, I have been mostly snelling hooks, j hooks, circle, tru turn even smaller treble hooks. Its time well spent.

17. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I always change my line in the winter and maybe once during the season. But IMO I thinks it best to change it in the winter. I go out to do some kinda fishing atleast 3 times a week during the summer. I consider that bad week:rolleyes: :cool: :p

I don't think it matter at all really with superlines because the way theye are made up!

Josh

18. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    i respool as needed, If I feel the pole needs it then it is getting respooled. I have several reels that can go 2+ years and not worry about breaks other that are used mroe can't make it through half a season. It all depends on the angler and preference.

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Since your using mono I would say wait. I would fear that the mono would have too much memory when it comes time to start fishing.

20. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Ok well mybe ill wait awhile,my main concern was the mono line coiling up and getting to much memory in it before i even get started.So mybe i should wait.