when to move

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Apache Flats, May 20, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    How much time should I spend in one spot before moving to another area if I am not getting any bites? Reservoir max dept 32ft, reeds around most of it. Its fed by a small river 20ft wide in some spots. Can go up river maybe 2 miles, dept in river 2-10ft. reservoir is about 600 acres, water temp around 70-73. Any advise would be helpful, thanks.

2. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would give the catfish a good amount of time to pick up the scent/find the bait.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Last summer I was reading on another site that if ya ain't got no fish in 20 min its time to move. I can't say much other than if they ain't bitin I just wait or fish for something else.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Things may be different on your lake, but when I fish the rivers around here, I usually end up moving after about 1/2 hour if I 'm not getting bit, longer for proven spots where I have confidence. The flatheads seem to move around a bit when they first wake up in the evening, and I'll get a few bites then if I'm lucky. Then I think they settle into ambush spots, so I get more fish if I move around rather than waiting for them to come to me. I don't always move far, sometimes it's just 100 yards or so.

5. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I have waited up to 5 hours before getting a run, sometimes its non-stop for a couple of hours. I have also had no bites all night and wish that I had moved after 2-3 hours. Do you think its possible some of the big ones don't move to far from the deeper water by the dam "32ft". I was thinking of fishing there one night next weekend?

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I HAVE COUGHT MORE FISH IN SHOOLW WATER , BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE THEY FEED, MOST BIG FISH LIKE THE AMBUSH STYLE BUT MOST OF THE STRUCHER IS DEEP TO SHOLLOW

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I guess it all depends, but usually I give them a solid 40 minutes. Like JA said, proven spots get more time. For me and some of my friends that I Flathead with, confidence is a key component. I think moving around, if you can, is very important. Good luck

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would probably fish that deep water by the dam - or on the slope from there toward shallower areas with bait - around dusk and move to shallower areas after dark. You never know though - I caught a good fish in about 30 feet of water after midnight one night last year. I was sitting there thinking "what the heck am I doing fishing so deep this late at night?" when the rod bent over double.

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    This is what I tell my children. You can only catch fish when you have a bait in the water. I do alot of smaller trips as opposed to all nighters. I usually preplan whether to sit it out or move around. If I do decide to move around I don't move very far because any time you don't have a line in the water you are just wishing you were fishing. If you think another spot might work out well try it tommorrow, first prove this one as best you can.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    * In the winter, I like to move around and try different spots, (Because the flathead probably won't be)...
    ** In the summer time, I like to give a spot several hours, especially in proven spots, or areas I know has bluegill or carp activity and cover...
    ~A

11. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks guys for all your responces, I will fish one night shallow ''less than 5 feet'' and one night deeper around 20 feet or so. This is really only my second year of fishing for flatheads. Thanks to this web site and a good buddy of mine I have the right equipment and alot more knowledge. Five more days and hopefully its fish-on. Anthony