When to harvest peaches and cream corn?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Canadiancatman, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    This year my fiance Sarah and myself planted our first vegetable garden. We planted early girl tomatoes, cucumbers carrots potatoes and peaches and cream corn. :big_smile: we've had fresh taters already and some carrots (i planted them a little thick :embarassed: had to thin em out a little bit) And our corn is over 7ft tall with 2-3 cobs of corn per plant now some of the cobs are pretty big and the tassles are starting to look like they are turning colour I'm guessing they are almost ready how do you know when to pick them and how do you pick them? I know there's some experts on here so any advice would be greatly appreciated :big_smile:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have allways heard to harvest when the silk is dry,and brown on the ears,Least the ones I stole from all the cornfields over the years were good at that point.:wink:

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Lmao Richard sound's like me :roll_eyes:I bring my dog for a walk every nite around the corner from my house and that dang dog alway's STOP'S at the cornfield's:wink:

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The silks will start turning brown. But by feel is the only way to know for sure. With your fingers around an ear of corn. Press down with your fingers. It will feel firm but not hard. You can feel it burst if much pressure is put on it.
    Test this feeling on one or 20 and see if you can feel what I'm talking about. Then pick one ear out that you think feels right. Take a look at it and when you get the hang of this. You can walk down a row and pick each ear that is ready. I have pulled hundreds of ears a day when i was selling Peaches and Cream. Man that bi colored corn is the Bomb. I love it had some Saturday night.:cool2:
    Pete

5. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thank you for the reply's guys!! :cool2: It's not too far off I can tell I cannot wait to eat my first cob of corn that i grew myself it's a great feeling to watch the whole cycle from seed to harvest :big_smile:

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Shane you messed with my mind with your post. I read your post and
    I was thinking peaches (the fruit) and creamed corn (the dish). LOL
    When I read the first reply I knew I was running the wrong track.LOL
    I have seen peaches and cream seed before but I have never grown any.
    The ears will have alternating white and yellow kernals.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I grew peaches and cream sweet corn this year for the very first time and it is the best home grown corn I have ever eaten or grew. I waited until the silks were nearly all brown and I picked a couple ears and they were almost ready. I gave them a couple more days and the silks were all brown. The corn was perfect. I had several ears tonight for supper. Man that is the best corn!:big_smile:

8. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thats funny Poppa I never thought of it that way but now that you say it I can definatly see how you would think that!! lol :smile2: John my grandpa used to always grow peaches and cream sweet corn and the yellow sweet corn as well and I always liked the peaches and cream the best! My plants are looking pretty good for our first time trying and I don't want to mess it up by picking to early or too late :smile2: I've seen pics of your gardens :cool2: and I'm all ears bro :wink: Thanks for all the reply's everyone!! :cool2:

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are you bringing some down Tuesday night??? For the Grill????

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Sorry but no......I have been eating fresh garden corn for weeks now and I have only a few ears left. There wasn't room in the freezer to put any up, so we been eating it like it was going out of style. The other night as I was eating into my 4 th ear of corn for supper.....the butter was running down my arm and dripping off my elbow and dripping off my beard and the corn juice was just a flying. I told my wife ....watch out now!:smile2: