when the wind blows

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by drummer, Sep 21, 2009.

1. drummer

drummer New Member

State:
    wv
    how can I keep my boat from blowing around in circles

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Use an anchor in front, and one in the rear.

3. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep. Anchor into the wind the best you can unless the current is strong, which it shouldnt be if the wind can move you. Make sure that they are catty-cornered on each end.
    I ran into a problem a few weeks ago because i had both anchors off the starboard side and it would wobble back and forth alot. also get the anchors out away from the boat more rather than strait down into the water...
    hope this helps.

4. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    2 anchors or a drift sock if u have current. also raise your motor so the prop is outta the water, the current can use it as a rudder and wiggle ya all over.

5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Honestly, my boat is more stable with the motor down. When I lift it, it allows the back to go anywhere it wants. Compared to leaving it down and allowing the rutter to help it hold it's place.

Maybe my boat is just weird.:wink:

6. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yea, mine is more stable with the motor down too. I use two anchors, one in the front and one in the back, dropped at exactly the same time so they snag pretty much at the same time.

Hope this helps.

7. drummer

drummer New Member

State:
    wv
    I thought about a drift sock but was not shure if it would work.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    its been said, anchor in the front one in the rear.

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Jason,

If you only have one anchor, or want to use one anchor for some reason, consider taking a tip from kayakers--use an anchor trolley.

It consists of a pulley or carabiner up front and one in the back, with a ring tied to a small nylon rope through the pulleys. I run the anchor rope through the ring, then through a deck loop mounted up front and through a clam cleat at my seat.

From a seated position, with only one hand, I can pull the anchor to any location along the port side of the boat. A small clip keeps the anchor at the position wherever I want it.

When I am ready to move, all I have to do is unclip the trolley, then pull the anchor line.

Check out a place like kayakfishingstuff.com and search for "anchor trolley".

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The drift sock works great unless you have hardly any current at all. I then use 2 anchors.

11. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    I like the anchor on the bow and two drift socks on the stern. If you use two anchors (in heavy current) be sure to keep a sharp knife handy. If a submerged log hooks on your front anchor line it will pull the bow under water (cut anchor line quickly then change underwear). Also put a jug on your anchor line to prevent losing your anchor. :big_smile: