When the water is down is it better??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCat4, Sep 3, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    When the water is down is it better then when it is up?.Ive seen a couple post saying "didnt get a bite after a long hard rain...the water was up about 7 inches...." .ANYWAY i was wondering because the river here has gpne down at least 4 ft and i havent fished it latly bcuz of school.

so tell me what you guys think

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    From my experience when the Ohio River is down and the current is barely moving, It is tough to even get a bite...When the river is coming up is the best bite in my opinion

3. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    when its real low, you gotta find them deep holes, but after a rain nothin bites cause there is so much food that got knocked out of the trees and from the mud and such.. but right b4 a good rain real good fishin.

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    When the Ohio River is up and rolling I can find the fish when it is dropping or down is when I have the most trouble locating them I have always wondered if they go to the center of the river when the water is dropping as I mark a lot in that area but with the barge traffic it is a dangerous area to even think about fishing so I stay out of the barge lane................Doc

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    On the missouri river, after a rain (during summer)I can see on the graph alot of suspended matter and little action on the bottom (mark just few if any small fish). Usuall see the top 1/3 water column has the action close to bank.
    Is this the rain adding oxygen and washing new food in, then I should be fishing at that depth and against bank-maybe try suspended, but do I? Not allway as I am sometimes stubborn, Lazy, complacent.

Maybe the cat are just sulking in the channel and I gotta bring food to a small strike zone at those times(?). Still working on this scenario.
    Im all ears.

My biggest effort these days is to trying to identify different conditions, then adapt to them. Its hard for me to do that-call it complacency I guess.

I do try to remember that the river dictates how I fish not so much me wanting to do my thing (since I really want to catch alot). If I were just there to kill time well then, thats a different story. I never go there for that reason though.

Thats why I am here reading on this site-not to kill time, but to hopefully gain some tidbit info, inspiration or confirmation that makes me confident to try anyother approach.

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    River dropped here last few days to lowest been in awhile. Didnt get much action last night. Noticed that channel and sides of river swings seemed to be where alot of action was at, but didnt fish it as I stuck to game plan/lack of time.

Tim,
    I agree with them going to channel. They must be somewhere where I wasnt:lol:
    If I were to go out today, then I would quickly try my same ledge strategy and if no work then drift channel, thumping or anchoring to fish em there for sure.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Thats about the only time I go when the rivers up. i dont even like going if the rivers not up. Of corse Im bank bound and it sounds like the rest that replied have boats. I always catch way more and bigger fish when the rivers up.