When the net tears.......

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by Big Sam, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ok here is one that will work for ya....When you get hung-up and the net tears loose on the bottom and ya got a hole:eek:oooh::smile2: instead of getting fishing line and struggling trying to get it back on just get some small zip-ties and ya can put that net back on the main line with ease & it wont hang if ya face the ties down toward the ground & cut them off flush with a pair of side cutters..just fixed an 8fter like that, that was given to me by my old-friend Johnny.....Pass it on boy's those nets are getting higher & higher to buy!!:wink:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely pass that useful info along!:wink::big_smile:
    I tried to Rep you but I'm all out of juice...:confused2:

3. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Great idea!!!:eek:oooh: Got just the net to try it on.... happened last weekend and now I can fix it:big_smile:!!! Just curious but how do ya "rep" someone?

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  5. Alex J

Alex J Guest

I was interested in trying to learn how to make my own nets. Any good books out there? Has the method changed much over the years, because if not, Google Books might have a few free books available explaining the process.

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wondered that myself a few years back. I bet it would take some time but I would be willing to give it a shot. I'll have to look for a book on it.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Big Sam for sharing a cost saving idea. Appreciated.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The methods in making your own nets have not changed even with machines that now do it. The methods are the same just that machines do the work instead of your hands.

There are alot of people around the world that still knit their own nets and the method is still the same all the way back to Peter and Paul during the time of Christ.

I've knitted replacement nets for my landing net frames and I have knitted live sacks to keep my catch in or large bait in when fishing for a week at a time.

9. Alex J

Alex J Guest

Well this is one book I've found for free on Google Books, and the PDF is real small (1MB) so anyone can download it and have a look.

The Art of Netting; with the Method of Making and Mending Fishing Nets Practically Explained; and Illustrated with Etchings from 1845. I think I'm going to give it a read and see if it explains enough to give it a try.

http://books.google.com/books?id=h_UDAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover

A few more on netting with some better pictures, assuming they're applicable.

http://books.google.com/books?id=BJJJAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA211

http://books.google.com/books?id=YhYaAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA641

HTH someone.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a good tip. Thanks for sharing this useful info

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    you gotta love those two thngs. I used to ride long distance motorcycle trips and those were the first two things added to the bag. With those you could build a mall.:smile2::wink:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive always just threaded my holes shut with 30lb mono. works well even in a pinch on the boat. have to do it 5-6 times probably before its shot or i loose it. thanks for the info.

13. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    I usually sew mine up.... I keep a needle in the tackle box and I always have more mono. I have 2 at home that I made myself outta twine. Yep, that's almost a lost art..... I learned it grow'n up as my daddy was a commercial fisherman. It ain't hard either. I taught an ole man how to build a cast net when I was 14. He stuck with it and made a nice 3 1/2 footer.

Tie wraps would be a quicky if you were on bait hot and heavy... Thanx fer da tip cuz!

14. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas

It truely is a lost art. Your story is the same as mine. I grew up in a commercial background. Besides my dad Ive never met anyone who makes their own nets. And my dad has never taught anyone but me. Most people think it very eccentric and don't care to learn.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/raybait1/DSC00154.jpg

15. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Guys, I've been considering crocheting a castnet. It's my understanding that's how crochet got started. Any advice?

16. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Sam,
    I had always used mono to repair my net. We know the Ark River can really tear one up if you throw from the bank at Ozark.
    I have plenty of small zip ties. I will put some in my boat......my boat on order that is.