When the Moon Hits Your Eye

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmandeux, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    ...the fishing blows. Everyone seems to agree on that.

My question: are clouds a factor? Is it the phase of the moon that puts the fish off, or just all of that light?

Sure is purty, though, ain't it?:big_smile:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I do feel that clouds are a factor in the daylight, not so much at night......................unless those clouds are bringing a major change to the normal weather pattern. The lunar affect on fishing is very predictable and seems to be consistent as long as the weather is "normal".

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If there is a full moon, I'll hope for some clouds to roll in and cover it up.

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    does the full moon affect daytime fishing?

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Kat, for me its just that time of year again here in Ohio.

Soon in very late Aug/Sept it will be my time to fish the Flathead Catfish again. Note when I go I like it tobe days not hrs and have seen days of bad fishing when not the right time of the year.

:008:

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like to see a little wind when the moon is out.the waves break up the light and keeps it penetrating the water very far,same as daytime fishing.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The full moon is my favorite time to fish at night I think it is more productive but in the deeper waters not the shallows. I fished this weekend on the river and between friday and sat I caught 31 mostly flatheads. I have caught some of my biggest fish on the full moon but I have found that the fish seeem to stay alot deeper.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im glad that someone has some luck because it's not me that is for sure! It is very nice to out on those nights though.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    like a big pizza pie, thats amore..... :eek:oooh: Ya I'm warped, so what! LMAO

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Time to turn the tables a bit. I've had some of the best fishing during a full moon. Especially fishing for wipers feeding on shad. I'm not sure if it's the full moon that brings the shad to the surface, or if it's the extra light caused by the full moon that makes seeing the shad easier for the wipers. As far as catfishing is concerned, cloudy days and nights have been the most productive for me.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Full moon effect has been discussed many times and I think it is in the eye of the beholder.Most fishing charts ,tables etc show the best days of a month to be centered around the 6 days of the full and new moons.I have caught tons of fish on the full moon,and for years I primarily fished for smallmouths at night on some of the Souths premier waters.Lets face it ,we all know that if you hang lights over the side or fish around lighted piers you will attract bait and predators.I have seen wipers and white bass slashing at schools of shad attracted by coleman lantern light not to mention crappie.I DO agree with those that say you should fish deeper or around cover that provides "shade" on the moonlit nights.After all thats where the fish are in the daytime.I do believe that due to the increased light and visability that the fish feed more and quicker so it seems the bite goes off.On the other hand I have seen a good bite turn off as soon as that moon gets up in the sky but I also agree that wind and waves does mitigate it somewhat.Fishing time is to prescious to worry about a little extra light.If the fish arent biting take your wife or sweetie out on those "Romantic" moonlight nights and maybe you wont care!!!!!!!!!:smile2::wink: