When the Mississippi River is coming up the best place to fish is

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by justwannano, Aug 22, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thats a question.
    I noticed that the big ol river is coming up along the entire state of Iowa.Actually right now its up a foot from McGregor to Quincy.
    So how do you fish something like that? Its gonna be above flood stage and still rising over the weekend.
    So how do you fish that?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I only fish the Mississippi River. When the river is on the rise, personally, I fish the shallow edges and backwaters. I believe what is triggering their feeding frenzy is new food from the freshly underwater spots. Thats why that is where I will place my hooks.

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    when it is comin up this fast, i dont know... i think i will work on the duck blind this weekend instead. i was on the water yesterday and it was not fun in the main current area. i dont mind the current as much as the debris that catches on your line, etc. this morning the river looked like a big marsh as i drove by.. all of the small green dots (duckweed) i have never seen it that bad.. i dont want to run my outboard in that and suck up and plug the water pump/line. still dont know if the big ones will come out of the main channel to the backwaters cause of it... i dont know... prove me wrong.???

4. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fish the flooded grass, I did that Tuesday night and caught a bunch of them ... I pulled out earlier than I wanted to because I could see lightning in the northwest but the storm tracked to the north and we never got a drop until daybreak

To me the hard part is getting on the river when it's that high, either the ramps are under water or the current is wicked at the ones that aren't ...

5. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have caught plenty of cats around cabins and campgrounds during high water. The cedar river and the iowa river will be coming out of their banks soon. Look out fat cats here we come!!!!

6. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i went out on the miss sunday . we ventured out in the main channel and were holding our baits with 6 oz no rolls, but there was too much vegetation of course to fish for longer than 2 minutes. that didnt last long. on the way back in, we noticed a ton of gulls on the side water out of the main current. of course they were there for the shad... so in about less than 2 hours we got 7 fish for 18# total .. fishin 4-6foot mud bottom...catchin bait as we needed it practically. never would have thought..... nothin over 4#, but nothin under 2. decent sunday afternoon. ( i only wish we would have been on the water very early sunday morning instead of at noon.... )

7. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    6 days later and went out to the same spot to get some shad ... the river has dropped about 3 feet since. and in turn, there were NO shad in the back canal.. we threw the cast net 100 times and nada. I guess in a falling river it even hurts catchin bait. we had some other real bait. sat on 3 holes for about 2 hours total. had 6 hard hits and done ... caught no fish.... I dont know what to do during a falling river... I went to the beach sunday and left the poles at home..... (However, heard the little ones are biting real good on stink here recently. so for the first time since last year, i am goin stinkbaitin this afternoon to get some for our fall fish fry.... )

8. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    here is the update. 2 hours fished, 3 guys, 4 poles and 34 catfish for 20# if we were lucky. had a good time. forgot what fishin was all about... ha ha.