When The Lightning Finally Stopped

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by ratkinson, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    First let me start out with an appology. Got back from NC a couple weeks ago and didn't thank Dademoss for hookin up with me down there at Lake Sutton. Not many fish were caught,but, it was nice to meet a BOC member face to face. I would also like to appologize to Fatflattie he had to cancel because of a work commitment, and, I couldn't get free to get together with him. NC was great.......but back on my home waters we had a heck of a night last night. My bud won't go anywhere near lake when there are thunder boomers, so , we waited it out and got out at about 6pm. Aside from the 70 or so silver bass (white bass to some) the cats were on the feed I took some pictures of the ones I kept for a fish fry, and we probably tossed back another 20 or so. No monsters were caught although one did snap an 8lb test line with ease. It was like a scene from jaws chasin around the battery lit bobber until it went down for good. The water temp was about 72 ish, a 5mph wind, and around a 1-2 ft chop. The majority of the fish were caught on cut bait in 10-20 ft of water. About 5-6 were caught within a foot of the surface under lit bobbers. The largest cat was around 23" the smallest was an 8" bullhead who swallowed the hook very deep. I did manage to catch a gar pike a little over 3' long. I didn't hook him my line was just caught up in his teeth. I would have had more pics, but, my buddy William didn't bring his "good camera" camera out in the rain, which by the time we docked @ about 12:45am had flooded the parking lot with about 6 inches of water. Counting every fish caught we probably landed well over 100 fish. It was a great night of fishing with two very good friends. Wish you all could have been there with us.

Richard

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Boy, that sounds like excitement. Great trip and report!

<No monsters were caught although one did snap an 8lb test line with ease.>

And... no monsters WILL be caught on 8# test unless you are mighty lucky! :wink:
    Bill in SC

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    A monster (subjectely speaking) in NY is twenty lbs, our state record is in the 30's. Those could be bait for some of the cats you guys catch...lol. My buddy was fishing his bass set up. I fish a little heavier line and a lot bigger bait. Although I got to say I caught my PB on 8lb test it was quite a battle at 23lbs. If there was a bottom structure he would have schooled me I'm sure.

Richard

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Great report, sounds like you guys were busy.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    23# on the 8# test is a nice achievement! Bet you were stoked when you landed him! We fish so much structure that I now use 80 or 100# braided exclusively. It's only the diameter of about 17# mono. If the line breaks now, it's the 50# mono leader. BTW: I consider monsters in the 35# and up range. My PB is a blue at just over 30#s. Nothing to brag about, but I do catch fish regularly when I go. I've never had a catfish day as good as the day y'all had in the story! Man, that had to be fun! Keep in mind that the Santee is an hour and a half from here, so I don't fish there. Mainly just the Pee Dee River that has it's limitations.
    BB in SC

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    There is something magical about this lake. Weather conditions ,time of day, depth.......all the factorss than can make a trip unsucessful don't seem to matter much. It is not fished a whole lot, let alone for catfish, but, I've never been skunked there. I can't remeber being there and catching less than 4 four cats since I've been fishing it. We've got to honey holes that always hold the fish. With the right wind and a little help from the trolling motor there is a ditt runs about 1/2 mile up the lake and it pays off every time. All eater sized fish, but, hey I'll take em' all night long. If I didn't have access to a boat and a depth/fish finder I probably would have never figured out the pattern I use. When I'm fishing there all is right with the world. I could live without the silver bass, but, I just pick a few dozen more night crawlers, and, I need a least of few of them for cut bait.

Richard

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report Richard! :cool2: Sounds like one heck of a lot of fun to me! I really enjoy nights when the Channel Cats are biting like crazy! :big_smile:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Richard thats a nice mess of Channels Cats.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Richard for sharing your fishing trip. Sounds like you had a great time and caught many fish. Enjoyed.

10. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    That sounds like a blast congrats on all the fish bud.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Glad you had fun in NC Richard, and great report/trip on your home waters. :cool2:

Looks like the makings of a wonderful fish fry!

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

I did em up in Fry Easy Beer Batter with a little added seasoning and they were delicious. Funny thing, the fish pound for pound fought much harder after dark. Is this usually the case where you all fish? I never really noticed it as much as I did this trip.

Richard

13. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Nice fish! Looks like they just come off the spawn by the bloody fin color. I use 8 # test all the time and land fish up to 15 lbs no problem. I use an 8'6" lightweight rod that helps.

14. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Good observation that may just be the case. I get em bigger than that usually, but, over 10 lbs is pretty rare in this lake. The beauty is I could drift with my rig dragging right on the bottom there and not get a snag all day/night. When I get up in some of the areas where they dumped ruff fill I can loose some gear, but, I still never pulled a fish over 15lbs out of that mess either. Even so it is by far the best in my area for cats. No one I've met there even wants to catch catfish......lol SUCKERS!!!!!

15. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Loved the story, makes me want to get out there!
    Had a thought, I am sure we are all thankful for what we have in our lives, but once in a while I catch myself thinking how lucky I am.
    I have great family, fantastic kid, amassed 3 additional beautiful girls with the addition of TONTO, and get to fish..... alot. Have managed to cast a line in numerous states for a variety of fish species, and took me many moons to discover the joy of "the cat" I can relax, hang with nature, and put a mighty tasty meal on the table. Now with the click of a mouse, I can check in on my new fishing buddies. We ( as a group ) are truly blessed!
    So again, thanks for your story & keep bringing them in!