When the Cape Fear River is high?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Cathunter Pete, May 12, 2008.

1. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I'm relatively new to catfishing the Cape Fear river here in the Fayetteville area. And I have little experience fishing on rivers all together. I do fairly well catfishing here in the Fayetteville area when the river level is between 10 and 12 ft. I usually can put a few in the boat and then back in the river to be caught again. But when the river gets above 12 feet I can't catch anything. I hear some people talk the fishing is better when it's higher? I have no idea what to look for or places to fish and catch when the river is higher than normal. I was hoping that some of you could tell me what to do and what to look for, in hopes of catching more fish. Just so you all know I release 90% of the fish I catch and never keep anything over 8lbs. My primary setups are Penn 9 level winds with 40# and 50# test line, with 4 oz no roll flat sinkers, 8/0 circle and J hooks. I use a large 1/0 barrel swivel, with about 8" to 1' mono leader then the hook. My boat is a 16' lowe big john w/ 25hp johnson. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. My friend is coming down from Pa, this weekend and I want him to be able to catch a few nice cats, I'm anticapating the river running higher than normal. Once again thanks to all for reading this post and good luck and blessing in your lives and on the water.

2. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I mainly fish NE cape fear, when the river is high I always look for log jams or trash piles in the river. Might hang up a little more than normal but most of the time there is a catfish under that stuff. Good Luck!!

3. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    our best catfishing is a rising river...

our worst catfishing is a falling river

4. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    thanks fellows, what do you specifically look for and key in on when the river is rising?

5. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    like someone said rising water is best......look at usgs.gov.....espically when a river has been steady during the summer or falling slightly for a week or 2 and then the water starts rising.....you want to be on the water then.......that said it is hard to time that if you work and have kids...........i do not like high water.......i find it harder to catch bait when the water is high......it spreads the fish and bait out......i love to fish rivers for cats during droughts.......no boats on the water because it is low and the fish are concentrated in the good holes.......mack

6. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    Mack in N.C. I checked out the usgs.gov web page. That place is ful of good info. I will take all the help I can get. Thanks