When Should I Start Fishing For Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Dave200518, May 13, 2006.

1. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    Hey guys, I was just wonder if it is too early to start fishing for some flathead cats? I have never caught one before, and wondered if it was too early for them. I have been catching channels this spring on the maple, just wondering if anyone has been catching any flatheads this spring?

Also, would a flathead hit liver? My buddy had a huge hit a couple weeks ago that almost pulled his pole in the water. The hit was very fast and hard, the fish hit without any warning.*Yes, my buddy lost the fish, he was getting a drink of pop when the hit came (figures)*

thanks for the info.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Now is a good time for Flatheads, i have caught about 3 this year, they may bite on Liver, but i wouldnt recomend it..channels mostley hit on liver...Flatheads like live bait, but they will hit on cut bait also..Good luck

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    They can be caught year 'round, it's just better once the water is warmer. Early in the year, I'll fish one live bait and one cut bait, until I see which the fish prefer. That's just me, though, because I never specifically target channels- only flats. Have fun!

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The time is now ive caught 12 channels and 10 flatheads over the last week and a half with the biggest flatheads coming in it 17,20,30, and 32 pounds.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The flathead action should be starting up in your area anytime now. The fishing is best after water temp gets above 60 degrees.