WHEN RIVER IS UP

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KATTERMAN, Sep 14, 2009.

1. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    the river i fish has a average depth of 5 1/2',yesterday it was up and running muddy at 14 1/2',i can usely catch fish when river is up fishing right next to bank where there is not much current but i been fishing at night,i went yesterday from 1 to 4 pm no bite at all,the river is really muddy so i thought it would make no differance night or day,do you guys think flats hold up in there lairs until dark when the river is up & muddy like they do when it is down and clear

2. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    i guess everyone wanted me to find out my answer for myself ,went fishing tonight river still up and running muddy,fish for three hours not one bite:confused2:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry, just don't have any help to offer. I don't fish when the river's up that high. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the flats will come way up into the newly flooded areas...

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think at the flood stage your describing,they,re gonna be hunkered down behind some cover and that your gonna have to put the bait right in their lap.:wink:.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    roger if your river went out of its banks they will be scattered way out in the flooded areas and hard to find. they will hold behind anything that blocks current. when the river first starts to rise they will feed like oprah on hiatus. after the initial rise they get harder. im guessing they get full on the first influx of food. as for where they hold in muddy water cant say as it has anything to do with it. they will hold in slacker water when not feeding deep or shallow. your best bet is to hit the largest feeder creek as soon as the rain water starts to gush into the river. thats when you have nights OR days to remember. it seams like every flathead in the river is there to cash in on the bounty! place baits on both sides of the creek mouth and in the creek itself. usually in this situation live and fresh cut baits produce equally well. with any luck you will run low on live ones and start cutting them to stretch out your bait!:wink: