When its time to respool

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by 223reload, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok im qurious everyone how often do you respool? i let my line be a guide having found that i can sometimes get two or three years use from it in the larger lb test in the smaller stuff like 10 i respool every other year but some rigs get used more than others so they get changed more often so what method do you use to decide when to respool?

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I change mine at least once every year more if it starts looking frayed.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use 20# big game and re spool about once a mo or any time the line is getting low.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I peel off 5 to 15 ft. of line to get past all the frayed or nicked places and re-tie all lines during and after every trip. So I go through enough line to buy it by the pound instead of by the spool. I re-spool when the line gets low and at that time I go ahead and take the reel apart and give it a good cleaning ,oil and grease job.

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    just copy 777 post and stick it here, we're pretty much twins on this one.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ditto. I'll also start the season off with fresh line.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Sounds like alot of us practice the same thing.

8. onemorecast

onemorecast New Member

State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    Same here, an ounce of prevention is worth a 50lbs cure.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Yep, peel off the rough stuff, respool when it gets low. Averages for me about every two or three months, more often in the summer.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i respool often. I use Trilene XL on most of my gear and it gets kinda dull lookin when it's been stretched too many times. I also cut off line that is nicked or frayed frequently so the spool with get low eventually, as everyone else already noted.
    I buy line in the large spools...they cost $30-$40 bucks and last quite a while with frequent respooling. I also use backing on 2 of my reels that have a higher capacity.

With 'fresh' line, casting distance is maintained and line failure is greatly reduced.
    I HATE equipment failure! lol...especially when it was my fault for not takin a few minutes of time to change a few dollars worth or fishin line.

cyas
    robert

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id say i respool like you do as needed.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I respool when its nickled,frayed, or when its low.

13. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    One of the biggest items is line test. The lighter the test, the more often you need to cut off the worn end and to respool. A small nick or a lot of exposure to sunlight and rod guide wear will break light lines very easily. Line is cheap and changing it sure beats throwing down your rod and stomping around when you break off a big fish! (been there, done that, been there, done that, been there,.....). If you're like most of us, you invest too much time and money to skimp on the little things. Good fishing!

14. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I change my lines every other month after the season starts. I don't want to take a chance of having the ONE time it breaks when I have a 60 pounder on!

15. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I agree with what was said it is better to be safe than sorry. Especially when you see the fish surface for the first time and you instantly start praying that you will land that brute. Gives me alot of security when i know i have fresh line on my reel. Cuz you never know when grandaddy wiskers will come knockin:cool2: