When it rains, it pours...(

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salthart, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fished last Thursday night/Friday morning with a young man from my church. He had an operation to replace plates and screws in his leg and was going out of his mind sitting at home so we load up and go.

We drove 45 minutes to get to the 3rd lake in the Catawba chain. Leaving the first and passing the second. Got the boat in the water and headed out. We didn't make it 500 yards when the pin in the prop gave up the ghost. Didn't hit anything, it just turned loose.

I told him no problem, I carry 6 batteries and we would just fish fairly close. We caught what bait we could (Gills) and ran the trot line (Hotdogs) And we drift fished all night.

The bite was slow but not dead. THe trot line was cleaned out 2 times without one fish caught..( And we put maybe 8 fish in the boat. Once again I had the problem of no hook set. I tried setting the drag tight and letting the fish load the rod before giving it a set and same results. I might play him for 10 or 15 seconds and then nothing.

I tried "J" and Kahle hooks sizes from #1 to 5/0 and could not see much if any difference. I was getting bits in 35-45 feet of water and fishing 20 lb test line. And line stretch was mentioned by Poisonpits. He may well have the right idea.
    My rods range from Lm to heavy and I'm not seeing any difference between those.

At any rate, If you have any input as to just what my trouble might be I'd love to hear it. The young man fishing with me put most of the fish in the boat and he was using light bass rigs...( 1 of the fish he caught turned out to be a 10 + Channel.

So we give up and call it a morning and head for the ramp. I back my trailer in the water and he loads it. Yells go and I idle out in low range. Not a peep from him. Truck gets to the top of the ramp and I hear steel screaming and fiberglass tearing and I stop the truck and jump out in time to see him jump from the boat as it goes over sideways. (Him in a cast remember) But he had not hurt his leg Thank the Lord !

Fuel tanks and batteries and all going everywhere. How we kept from having a huge fire I don't know. The fuel tank had landed upside down on a couple of the batteries but nothing shorted. The ramp was one that has the deep grooves cut into the cement and it did a number down the edge of the boat and as the boat sat there propped against the trailer we could hear the fiberglass cracking and popping.

All I knew to do was drag the trailor on out from under the boat and let it fall. THen I had to chain the boat to the trailer and drag if forward to get the motor up. ( The back of the boat was not deep enough to float )
    Once the motor was up we pushed the boat back into the water and loaded it again.

One upright on the trailer was broken and so we tied the boat down and headed home..

Going out now to see if my boat is gonna live.. I have my doubts ( any guesses ?

2. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    Sounds like when I had a turtle messing with me. He'd be on for a couple of seconds and then just disappear. Any turtles where you were?

3. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I can't recall ever seeing a turtle on lake Hickory but its a sure bet they are there.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i didnt think turtles would be that deep until i caught one in almost 400 foot on bottom. :sad2:

5. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Marty, sorry to hear ya had such a bad time of it! Can be very disheartening when your trying to do something out of the kindness of your heart and then you kinda feel like ya got kicked for it. Hope its not as bad as ya thinking!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Marty I hope everything turns out better than is sounds. If you have insurance, call your agent. It might be covered. Even by the truck only policy.I feel for you.