When is the Shad Kill Over???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dreadnaught, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have been told by several fishermen in the area, that right now the blues are gorging themselves on the dieing shad in the river systems. That will make them extremely hard to catch for a while. The only way these guys are catching blues now, is drift fishing about 20ft down with fresh dead shad.

How long does it go on?

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It takes them about 1 minute to die sometimes less sometimes more, it just depends on the depth of water there in and the pressure .

:p

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    A whole minute, HUH?? I would have never thought of that, LOL!!!

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The shad are being killed by cold weather. Cold weather kills shad. It will continue to kill shad till it's replaced by warm weather. Seriously, I've been walking around dams trying to rush spring weather and seen windrows of shad that have drifted up against the dam or shore. And those are just the ones than haven't sunk yet.

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    When do the shad spawn? How come they are so abundant if there is a "shad kill". How come you catch 16"+ shad along with the small ones every year? Is there a percentage of the shad that die?

6. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    jtrew is right the cold weather kills them,the only ones that live re the bigger ones,that has already adapted to the water and weather,a good place to catch blues right now is at the entrances of creeks,thats were they lay and wait for the shad..

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They will spawn in the spring depending on your area usally April to May at 50 to 70 degrees F. They will brodcast there eggs and the eggs will sink and adhere to the bottom. The females are very prolific and can produce up to 500,000 eggs each. This is why they are so abundant.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    It's kind of like survival of the fittest. Why do some shad stay alive for days in my bait tank while others die off soon after putting them in? There's always some shad that are in better health than others and when the cold weather drops temps the weak one's just die off. It doesn't matter if there young or old but just what condition the shad is in. I was throwing the cast net last week in surface water temps of only 34 degrees. Most of the shad were only in the two to three inch range so size doesn't matter. :p At least in this case.

9. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  10. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

So, is it safe to use these dead shad after freezing them during the next season???

Ray

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes Rainman.

I know what causes them to die!
    What I wanted to know is how long does it go on in general?

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    1 minute. LOL so your good to go.

I didn't know that about shad.

I'm guess here but I would think till spring when the water starts warming up.

13. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i do not believe we have a winter shad kill in ky. unless we have an extremely brutal winter. from what i have gathered over the years is that generally only happens in the northern states. and according to infishermen, this is the best time to catch them because they are feeding so heavily.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here at Pickwick when the water temp gets sround 40 degrees. WE have a shad minnow kill. ITs about 2 weeks then back to normal You will have a few that move into shallow water when a warm spell comes through. then the temps drop over night. Now they will always die.

PEte

15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    bad3087, yes there is a shad kill. Just go to the misssissippi or the ohio and look for the gulls. they are everywhere plucking dead shad off the top. I have been told this will last a few weeks at the longest just depends. Shad, I have been told by the oldtimers is the best bait this time of the year until the end of January.

16. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Thanks JW. I'm going to net a few the next time we actualy get a freeze up here.

Ray

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Thank you Demetreus, that was exactly what I was looking for!!!

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    They're dying here in MO. I was out with my son goofing around acting like I knew what I was doing jiggin for crappie of a dock. Got bored and threw the net in to see what was there and caught 17lbs in 2 throws, probably a 3rd of them were 10" or better. My son got to looking around and was picking up big ones that were about half dead in close to the bank. Kind of took the fun out of fishing, cause if they are schooled up that tight and moving that slow, it's just gonna be dumb luck if a fish hits the one on my hook out of the kabillion that are down there and easy for them to get. Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop, though.... ;) I bet later in the winter, late Feb or early March, after they've eaten most of what's been killed off and are hungry again, it'll be some good fishing, though.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The shad kill, especially if you can locate the bigger ones is a great source for "free" (it's a lot of time consuming messy,stinky work.) shadguts. Around here last year they cost up to $8 a pint. We'll usually put up a dozen pints. I'ts about all you'll catch fish on here on Milford Lake. The lake as frozen and thawed one time this year so far, haven't seen any signs of a kill yet. THe coldes surface water we've been out on is 36deg.

20. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I think it's hard to put a time on when they stop dying. I think it's mainly depends on how cold a winter you have and how early spring comes to your part of the world. The winter shad kill continues throughout the winter. The weakest and bulk of shad winter kill, die after a couple weeks of sustained cold water temps. They are so dang delicate that until spring temps warm up they will continue to die. I don't know if this answer's this question any better.