When is the best time to go catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by krazylegg, Jun 24, 2007.

1. krazylegg

krazylegg New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Hello yall i am a truck driver that lives in middle tn but seems like everytime i get home and go fishing i dont catch anything but a buzz can someone help me out on what to look for in the weather or what not.........:confused2:

2. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    krazyleg,
    I'm a truckdriver also...Of course my circumstances are probably different from yours....But, one the average, the best bite will be from 4am-6am and at night....That's on the average....If you have the problems I do...I just go when I have the time and forget what time it is and whether the fish is biteing....lol....Gotta do what cha gotta do.....It just depends on where you're fishin, time of year, and what their hungry far....Every lake/rez/river is a little different.....Dwight

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would have to say first light to 10am and then 7pm till midnight. Those are the times I like to fish if I have a choice.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cliff not all fish come to the table at the same time. Many things trigger the fish to feed at different times. So I think the best time to go fishing is when you get the time. Some people will say in the early morning, others will say late at night. I give it my best shot when I have the time. Be confident and learn from each trip. Good Fishing.:big_smile:

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I'm sure I am the odd man out here but the vast majority of the blues I have caught have been in the heat of the day. 10 am to 2 pm. I fish mostly in the river and in the middle of the summer is when I load the boat. Now before any of the night stalkers start thinking I am full think about this. Blue cats turn on and increase their feeding when there is good current. Most of the time TVA fires up the turbines around mid morning in the summer.
    Pond fishing is however way different. Low light and night is best for them.
    The advice I would give is to go fishing any and every chance you get.

Cheez

6. krazylegg

krazylegg New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i got a clear picture know i was fishing below the dam at woods the water wasnt moving all that well so i will try my luck next weekend with the advice i have gotten so far thanx to everyone who has posted a reply:big_smile::big_smile:

7. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I was always under the impression the mid-day sun made for difficult cat fishing unless you could find shady areas, but I suspect the water depth makes a bid difference too, and whether your talking lake or river. Seems the bigger rivers lack ample shade and they probably just move out to the deeper channels. Interesting what cheez said about the generation times. I've been having bad luck the last few times I've been out at the lake, so I might be checking out the generation schedules. Hey cheez, are you bank or boating it, and how far back from the dam wall? Thanks

Jon

8. TPD

TPD New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live in Nashville and fish Percy Priest nearly every chance I get mostly at night. I seem to get most of my fish around midnight and early morning. I have heard the farmers almanac can be a pretty reliable source as well.

9. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    cheez aint fishing anywhere near a dam. We have quite alot of good structure around the sequoyah nuke plant here in chattanooga. He also isnt fishing from the bank. We fish the same areas and as long as they are pulling water the fishing is usually much better.

10. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    In the area that Cheez,Foodsaver n me are fishing is a big wide open river with huge flats (15 to 25 feet deep) and a deep channel with a lot of breaks and structure. The bite is good on the flats early morning and then in the heat of the day they move into the deep water structure...30 to 60feet deep. When TVA cranks up and starts generating the fish start feeding as bait is moving with the current. Look in areas that has the most current with deep structure.

11. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    I, too, fish the same area, and Cheez, Foodsaver, and Cathooker are being 100% honest with their evaluations of this area. Just keep in mind that each area has it's own personality and what works in one may not work very well in another, although blue cats are very often biting quite well during the day in many areas. Good Fishing!