When is the best time to go catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 28, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    im just wondering about what is the best time to go catfishing? the best time for blues, best time for channels, and the best time for flatheads? I would really appreciate it if u would leave ur thoughts and comments!! Thanx!!

2. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    in the daytime flatheads will be hold up in cover. be it log jams, rocks, or fallen trees. usually in water deeper than 3 foot. (a lot depends on water temp and season) during the night they move to shallower water to feed. channel cats can be caught pretty much whenever. it has more to do with where you fish rather than when

3. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yesterday,today, and tomorrow always makes the best sense to me. You can never catch a fish without fishing.
    Worst days::thumbdown
    Your wedding day
    Your wifes birthday
    Your wedding anniversary
    Your kids graduations
    Your funeral
    All other days are open to give it a go.:grin-big:

BILL

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would say the best time to catch flatheads and channels is from when in gets dark till midnight, then again from 5am to 7am.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    For me, it more or less depends on what sort of waterway I'm fishing. On lakes and ponds, my most productive times for channels and flats have been from sunrise till mid morning and again from sunset till about midnight. During these periods, fish flats close to deeper water. As for rivers and streams, I consistantly catch cats day and night time alike. Just look for deep sections of water that either have moderate current or plenty of cover. During the day you still have to be a little more patient. My biggest flat ever which is pictured in my aviater, was caught around 7 in the evening below a dam, so that kinda gives you an idea for flats. As for channels, I use pretty much the same patterns day and night for them. Certain baits though work better at different times of the day, I've noticed that livers and shrimp seem to work best for me at night and in the morning and things such as stink bait, minnows, and crawlers are more of the ticket during the daytime. Hope I helped ya out some.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've always had my best luck for any kind of cats anytime at night,especially after a good rain.

7. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Worst days::thumbdown
    Your wedding day
    Your wifes birthday
    Your wedding anniversary
    Your kids graduations
    Your funeral

Bill... I can understand that last one. But the others....might be debatable? LoL

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The best time to go catfishing is:

Any time you can get or squeeze a few hours out of your hectic schedule and hit the fishin hole!!!
    Cold or hot
    Rain or shine

Doesn't matter as long as you can go and relax!!!

9. TIGER44

TIGER44 New Member

State:
    MANSFIELD. TEXAS
    When Ever You Can It Is Great To Catch Big Fish But It Is Also Great Just To Be Fishing

10. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think at night because big catfish seem to be nocturnal and come into the shallows and feed on baitfish

11. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The time ta go is anytime ya hear; Paw Paw, Dad, or Honey will you take me fishin'?

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hey Josh, some of us are not as young as you. I have to agree with nosnag though. Also, I may say that any day your breathing is a good day to catfish.

13. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    :confused: Right now !!!????

14. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The best time to fish is anytime really! LOL Personally I prefer to fish at night during the summer. Its cool and more comfortable and I think that the cats are much more active. Gotta love a warm summer night on the river catchin cats!!!! Theres not much better than that.

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    ANY TIME YOU CAN.... don't worry about those "fishing time calanders" or what ever, and ignore the moon, the cows, etc... when heading out there... GET OUT AND FISH... you can't catch fish if you aren't drowning bait, pure and simple... Thats why once the fish is in the boat or on shore i try and get the line back out before i mess with the fish cause that'll take 2 minutes at most and thats 2 minutes my line/bait isn't having a chance to deal with the fish...

16. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I've got to agree with everyone except Photocat. ;) He said ignore the cows !?!?!? If the cows are up the fish are bitin' ! Well, atleast the cows are who I blame if they are up and the fish don't bite.... LOL

Now maybe for me and not so much the fish, I like to fish the summer nites. Things are just different at nite. Fish are shallow, sun is not cookin' ya, stars are out, it's really cool to hear all the wild noises and wounder if they are comin' to get ya :confused: ..... Ya can't see real good so your sences have to kick in, no jet skies on the water, the drunks are passed out. I could go on and on.....

17. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Any night is good. Tho I can be persuaded to go out in the daytime.
    Happy hour runs from bout 10:30PM-2:30AM Then ya got time for a 2 hour nap fore they start in again.
    Last night it was from bout 9pm-midnite. Then just cut off. No nuthin was happenin. Caught a lil channel, a flattie, and a drum. Drum was the biggest. :p

About signs... All signs fail in wet and dry weather. :rolleyes:

18. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I fish for flats and blues during the day and channels at night.Just works best for me. I can't seem to get the flats and blues to bite after dark. May be just where I'm fishing.I fish below Keystone Dam for the flats and blues but fish for the channels in the lake.But it's like most everyone says, you can't catch fish sittin at home.

19. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think the best fishing is when it is raining and when it isnt. The fishing is also great when it is night and when it is day. Basically the best fishing is when ever. Long live fishing.

20. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    OK, now you guys have gone and done it. I'm going to have to start another fishing experiment, fishing night and day for months just so I can figure out which time is best. Grandma said she would go along and keep records.