When is the BEST BITE..What does everyone think

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by RiverKing, May 26, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I was wanting to know what time of day does everyone think the best bite occures. i fish mainly at night, but what hours do you think the bite is the best, i think i like right when the sun is coming up...seems like things get real active around that time..Seems like 8-12 is pretty good to...What do you guys think..

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've caught them all times of the day but if I have to narrow down the best bite I'd say twilight. as least at greenlane reservoir which is a water supply for reading pa. They come out from the deep ledges and push the bait into the shallow coves as it gets darker.

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I like heading out to my spot about 4 in the afternoon. I get good action from about 6 to 10 or 11. If i'm patient enough, i'll sit until early morning, because bites seem to kill around midnight until 2am.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    My best bites come when i've got wet lines... and bait for that matter... ;-) If you leave your lines in long enough you'll get bitten...

But the times i tend to get bitten the best are when i'm not paying attention... my PB Channel came when i was out w/ friends and they weren't fishing, just drinking and kept my mind off my lines.... i think thats because when your not concentrating on your rods the time goes by faster (watched pot never boils) but when your watching nature and talking with friends it seems like less time has gone by between bites....

5. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I'd say the best time for bites is between 6:30am-9:00am. They are most active right before sunrise for me.

6. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Ive caught them all times too, but id say from 8pm to about 2am are the best times.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with what Clifton says!

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

My two personal best catfish were caught at two different times, one at dawn, the other at dusk. The amount of light, however, was exactly the same.

9. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    1st choice - Last hour before sunset
    2nd choice - First hour after sunup

But I have to say that, except for jugfishing, I haven't fished a lot at night. I'm going to have try that one of these days because we can kill 'em on jugs at night. That best time is from sunset to midnight... but for us it's also heavily dependant on generation schedules from TVA dams.

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The magic hour, 1/2 hour before & after sunrise & sunset.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I think it depends on the type of catfish. Flatheads seem to bite best for me at night. Last year between 7-11pm this year from reports (I'm not out that late) 12:30 or so. However when I chase channels in the river I love 7:30am-noon.

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would have to agree with almost all of this except I fish a lot during the day also. I have caught my biggest fish at 2:00 in the afternoon in August So you know it was hot and Bright.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have my most success from an hour before dark up till around midnight. There are other peak spurts and everyday is different but in general I like this time slot.

14. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    7-8 has the best results for me.

15. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Me too, as far as times. Have caught them day & night, but to nail it down, seems just before dusk/dawn and a couple or three hours after that are the greatest windows of opportunity.