When is it time to say

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by swamplvr, Aug 13, 2009.

1. swamplvr

swamplvr New Member

State:
    Western Mo
    " I need to buy a new throw net"

Used it last week and noticed a new hole in it when some shad slipped through the side. Luckily there were enough in it to fish with and save some. Today I worked on it for over an hour and a half. Everytime I'd get one hole patched up nicely I would see another. Now 1/8th of the net has neon green line tied up in it with small knots keeping it together. I know last Summer or the Summer before I hung it in a deep cedar tree at Truman accounting for a few of the tears that I thought were patched. Is there a point where you quit patching them, prior to today the net had a pile of other patches but performs. next time I patch it I will use some red line to remind me of Christmas:big_smile:

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    They eventually get to where they wont open properly. It si then I give up on them. But most often the get torn up too bad to patch before they ever get to that point.

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I had an old net that had so many patches on it that it started to not open and hung up on itself.....It was time. I like to use the braided lines because it doesn't have as much memory and it isn't as thick for the knots. I.E. you can put more patches on it. I think a lot of us have bought a new net and hung it up on the first outting. I know I am stubborn and want to get my moneys worth so patching it is. I was proud of my old battle torn net. We both caught a lot of bait together. She is finally resting on her last snag as we speak but I visit that spot from time to time and remember the good times.:smile2:

4. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    I've patched nets with small electrical zip ties.Cut em off short as possible,so they dont tangle when ya throw it.It doesnt take very long either.

5. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    im tellin you guys soak your nets in bucket of Ivroy soap even if you think they are junk and watch how good they work even with zip tie patch job's...

:big_smile:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use them until they fall apart.