When is fresh bait not considered fresh anymore?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by harper81, May 20, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well I got a 4-day weekend coming up this week and want to go get some bait Thursday morning after work. I hear spillways of dams are good shad locations, but the nearest damn is no where near where I fish. So I want to drive there Thursday and catch enough bait for the whole weekend. So my question is if I catch bait Thursday, put it in some ziplock bags on ice will it still be fresh until Monday? I can catch some where I fish, but I want to be able to get more than one fish every four casts.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Just keep it iced down and let the water drain off dont let it stand in water and it will stay good for 3 or 4 day. Water will start to drain the blood out of your bait and cut down on the flavor. I have had shad on ice where the water can drain off for days and still did great with it.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sure hope this don't turn into the old fresh vs. frozen debate. LOL!

4. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you were that worried about keeping your bait fresh all weekend long I would keep the bait alive. I have a large cooler that I use that I fill with water and then hook up a fish saver aerator. The aerator has two alligator clips that will hook up to a spare battery and keep the water circulating. All you have to do is throw the cooler in your truck or whatever you drive and change the water once or twice a day and the fish will live a long time and be lively until you want to use them. Hope this helped.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you have a cooler/aerator system that will keep shad alive for 4 days SELL IT TO ME! :lol:
    shad in ziploc bags on ice will do fine for 4 days. like they said above, don't keep em in water, at all!
    good luck on your trip...

6. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee

:lol: best Ive done is two days in a cooler/aerator, shad just dont do well for extended periods .

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    As far as I'm concerned, if your bait doesn't squirm when you cut it, it's not fresh anymore.

You can keep shad on ice (in a bag on ice, that is) for a day or two; beyond that, it's closer to being stink bait than fresh bait. Once the eyes start to go cloudy and the skin color fades, you're getting close to wasting your time with it.

I found it to be a big mental jump to go from thinking "I'm not very good at catching bait and I need to get all my bait in advance and always have some in the freezer 'just in case' I can't catch any" to "I'll spend as much time as it takes to get fresh bait when I need it" -- and I guarantee it's changed my results and the way I look at fishing in general.

There have been days where I spent upwards of 3 hours throwing the net (in fact, I spent nearly 3 hours last Sunday looking for bait, just prior to catching the hog in my avatar) -- but most of the time, it doesn't take more than an hour or so. Build time for bait catching into your plans and it just becomes another part of fishing - on the days when you only spend 30 minutes getting bait, you'll feel like you're ahead of the game. But if you go out on the water thinking about what a chore it is to get bait and how you'll be lucky if you find anything at all, then you've already defeated yourself...

8. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry guys I wasn't thinkin of shad when I posted before. You're def. right, shad won't last long at all. Jumping from the fish saver to a food saver though I don't know how practical it would be, but if you could vacum sill your shad that should lock in the freshness until reopened. Maybe kinda expensive though. Just some thoughts.