When is close, too close

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Slatebar, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was fishing the river about a month ago and had a couple guys really crowd me. I had anchored and got all tied in for the night when here comes a blue and white Starcraft and did a horshoe around the boat. After circleing all around they anchored about 50-75 ft straight off my left side between me and the shore. They were casting within 10-15 ft of my boat.After about 3 hrs they pulled anchor and and moved about 100 ft straight down river behind me. Really surprised me that people will do that.
    Yesterday morning I was fishing the river and ran into a guy I use to work with. While BS'ing he told me he had the same problem last week with what sounded to be the same people. From what Bob told me they anchored only like 20 ft off his bow. I guess things kind of got heated in that deal.
    My question is, when fishing in a boat and someone has already staked claim on your intended spot for the night, How close will you anchor to them? or will you just throw up your hand in a hello gester and head to another spot. If you are already anchored will you pull anchor and give the spot to the idiots?

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally I don't want to fish anywhere near anyone else. If I am even heading to a specific spot and see someone near it I will usually just move on.

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I always avoid the crowds if someone is near a spot I was gonna fish , I go looking for a better one.Time to find some new water ,I may come back after they leave though.There are more and more people using the bent rod scouting system.When they see a fish they move over close and mark it on their gps.I do love it when the keep drifting closer and I keep catching fish while they catch nothing.That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling...

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I am the same way....

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've had this happen to me before as well. Both in a boat and on the bank also. Most times I will continue fishing, determined not to be run off from my spot by others. Most people who fish a good spot consider it to be their spot, but when fishing public waters, many people might consider it to be their spot also. I dont appreciate people throwing over my lines which has happened before. If your that close.....your too close. I might get a little hostile then. I look at it like this....first come, first served! If some one else is fishing the spot I like to fish, I will move on down and not crowd them.

There was one time I gave up my spot to a couple of guys who didnt have a clue. I was fishing below the Gallatin Steamplant with a nice striper on the stringer, when 2 guys came upon me and saw my fish. One guy threw out on my right side and crossed my line and the other guy threw out on my left and his line drifted down and crossed my line too. I started reeling in my pole and was hung up with the both of them. I finally got my line free of theirs by cutting their lines with nail clippers and I left my line intact....I stood up and said boys I'm gonna give you this spot. Good luck!
    So I picked up my stringer with a 25 lb striper and walked about 100 yards away from them and casted out and it never hit the bottom before I had another Nice striper on. So I left with a nice 2-limit of striper and those boys was raising HE!!. They were cussin me and everything from over 100 yards I could here them cursing and swearing at me. I thought it was funny as HE!!. As I left the fishing area, I just threw up my hand and waved with a big grin. One of them flipped me the bird. I laughed all the way home!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    John, there is some whacko's out there for sure.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cast a 9 oz there direction lol

seriously if you can cast to them they are too close

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

It shouldn't surprise you; the number of @$$ holes on the world is increasing at an alarming rate:roll_eyes:...W

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  9. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I will usually keep moving if someone else is in a spot I was wanting. Big rivers here and lots of good spots. But, if someone crowds me, I have been known to holler at them, "get a little closer, I'll get in with you boys and save my gas". Somehow they seem to get the message and leave waving a joyous goodbye with their one finger.:roll_eyes:

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. THE HUMAN RACE SUCKS! Now for all you righteous folks out there. To hell with turnin the other cheek and lets take time to educate them. There are too many ignorant pieces of crap in this world. They need to be dealt with in an "EXTREME PREDJUDUCE KIND OF FASHION" Now tournaments that I fish in Maryland have a 100 yard rule in affect. That sounds like a reasonable ammount of distance. And its enforced by patroling monitors. :wink:

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hate humans too!! nobodys dog has ever cast over my line

12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If someone has my intended spot, I do not anchor. I will just move to another spot and hope it's as good, if I don't know already. Like you said, the river is big and there are plenty of spots. That goes for me as well. BUT...I will not pull anchor and move for tools. I will just start making noise. If they intend on annoying me, then i'm gonna do my best to make sure they have no luck either. It's usually a good time to turn on the radio...at a fairly high volume level. :big_smile:

People that do those things are idiots. That's even worse than getting waked from someone that clearly see's you, but still continues full speed and passes you only 25ft away.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Way I figure it, if I was already anchored up, anyone within casting distance is too close. If it were me, I would probably cast my 10 footer across all their lines and collect me some terminal tackle then cast back out right across their stern before they had a chance to re rig.

14. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    A big glob of dip bait accidently cast into their boat will usually do the trick.:crazy::eek:oooh: If that doesn't work I talk to them about the BOC, cause if dip bait in the boat doesn't bother them they may be catfishermen.:wink:

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    The way i see it if you are bank fishing, it is a courtesy to ask someone if it is okay if you fish with them. when on the bank you are limited to the direction and area you can fish. so if someone seems nice and they ask if they can fish near me i usually have no problem with it, and enjoy the extra company. However when in a boat it is a different ball game all together. you can access an unlimited amount of different waters that you can't from the bank. therefor i wouldn't fish close to someone else and would expect someone to give me the same respect. i try to stay around 100 yds or more away from the nearest boat. there is no reason to crowd people.

16. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Bouncing one of them off their bow gets their attention! :smile2:

For us bank fisherman, we have to deal with kayakers and those #$%^&* jet skiers!!!

17. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    This is why i never understood trout parks,who wants to stand shoulder to shoulder to shoulder and fish?

18. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i have been known to bounce an 8 ozer across their boat if they are too close:wink: but when your are casting it almost never goes exactly where ya aim it lol, ive been flipped a few birds and cussed out but if im there and anchored its there problem not mine

19. luvndabeers

luvndabeers New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There's always someone out ther with no respect for others. i just ignore em' and keep fishing. i think people do that hoping you'll move, but i never do

20. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    if im anchored and they set up beside me its cool ill shoot the chit with them while fishin everytime ..

now if they anchor behind my boat where my lines are wooo hoooo its on like donkey kong !!!!

had 1 of my friends even do that to me this year i was like no he just didnt do that i looked at my buddy and told him reel up i cant take it !!!!

didnt cuss him out because he was a friend but wow it shocked me i mean he droped anchor right where our lines where at on the bottom thats way to close :angry::angry:

then 3 times this year while shallow water fishing in 2 to 4 foot of water ,, a few hundred yards from the channel had bass boats fly by at 50 mph or so within 20 yards or so :angry::angry:

ive got a special surprise for that now tho :wink::wink:

I even had a catfisherman and it was a tournament team boat come flying by wide open while i was fishin a very shallow cove like 1 to 3 foot this spring . lmao they thought it was the main channel :smile2::smile2:

oooopsy i swore they was gonna get stuck because they kept going and i know it got shallower as they went but after they made a bend and went out of site a couple minutes latter here they come back and again never idled down just screamed on by again right over our lines ..:angry::angry:

thats bad when a catfisherman does that to another catfisherman :sad2: