When is catfishing season over?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by thoroughbred, Aug 24, 2008.

1. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    basically im in idaho and have got skunked all summer(im still new dont worry lol) and for example its august now and the day i plan on going it'll be either 85 or 88 degrees , is it still good to fish for catfish and ill be fishing from shore at night, and its a lake/pond . ive been using shrimp but have been reading alot of you use shrimp with garlic powder or salt (ive never done that) cats love garlic? thx fellas and wish me luck to catch my 1st real catfish :(

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Catfishing season is over when you can no longer get to the water with rod and reel or jug or trotline. Basically, you catfish all year long just have to change baits and tactics. Read through here and study, lots of advice on it.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    in august when it does get hot i tend to have better luck with minnows dead or live and also night crawlers good luck

4. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    thx sir for the tips i was alwasy told that other than summer you dont really catfish, good to know i can still go now, ill read up on some tips here, this site has been excellent thx

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Go to Mac Byrums Catfish University on this site and there is a thread on fishing for mr. whiskers during the winter.:0a26:

6. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sir, I just read 4 articles on winter catfishing on the internet which were very interesting,, just type winter catfishing in your browser and enjoy.:big_smile:

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Jerome,Welcome to the BOC.As far as when Catfishin is over I'd say when your no longer on this ole earth. You can fish for them all year long .If your tough enough to stand the cold.:0a18:Go into the BOC libaray you can learn a lot of things in there. Plus it has different bait reciepe in there. Enjoy your time on the water and were waiting to hear your first big CATFISH story. Now don't go tellin no fishin lies (cause) you know none of us fishermen/women don't tell lies .:roll_eyes::big_smile:
    Again WELCOME to the BOC/SOC!!!

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Jan and Feb are the best months for me here in NE Florida. Turtles are dormant and no bugs.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerome,It ain't never over,I fish here in New Mexico all summer for channels . Then I stroll over to Oklahoma in Dec. for bluecats.

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Just keep tryin differnent baits and different depths. Fish shallow at night and dont be afraid to move. Sometimes its only a matter of a few feet. September is a real good month for fishin so keep at it. And yes, this is a 12 month event. Things change, location and tactics, but they are there and can be caught.
    Welcome to the BOC!

11. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    thx everyone for your help/tips i have fun just takign family but darnit i wanan cathc something i'll go this week and hopefully have a story to tell :) also the place im going is stocked with atfish and not that big so i know they're there !!!!!!

12. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good luck to you and get some pics:big_smile:

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jerome, welcome to the BOC/SOC:cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

To me catfishing season never ends it is only interrupted by deer season, a lot of squirrell hunting and an occasional golf match :smile2:.

14. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Catfish season is over when the lower Trinity River freezes over, witch is never!

15. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    We catch 'em through the ice up here in the frozen tundra. They eat all year, so they can be caught. Like has been said, you just have to adjust to the conditions. It might not be as simple as it sounds, but it's possible.

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome to the BOC. what part of idaho you fishing? have you tried liver, mackeral, or just plain night crawlers? just curious.
    best answer i've seen to your question is season is over when you stop fishing for them.
    gary

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    No disrespect to whoever told you to only catfish in the summer, but whover told you that is really missing out on some outstanding fishing.

Spring time brings in first the after winter munchies. As the water temps start to rise, catfish start getting more active. Usually focusing on the "winter shad kill".. Catfish are still a bit lumbering around and don't have a whole lot energy to be chasing around lively fish... They just looking for quick and easy small meals as they "wake up" from the winter slumber.

Next is later Spring Pre Spawn.. They go into an aggressive feeding pattern to bulk up to first mate, then protect the nest.. Outstanding time to target BIG fish...

As water temps heat up more, the spawn is on and bites can be pretty hard to come by. There are still activly feeding fish, but is more of a here and there pattern...

Then, Summer is here.. Hot Days and nites.. Shew, pass me a cold one and don't hawg the bug spray!

Fall time fishing is some of the best catfishing you'll find, at least for channels and big old angry flatheads..As winter begins its approach to our fishing waters it starts a feeding frenzy to fatten up over the winter months. Big lively baits or big chunks of cutbait and time spent on the water is usually well rewarded..Catfish start packing on the pounds for when the water temps drop dramatically and the fish become lathargic and in basicly "sleep" mode.. They just want to hunker down and wait for the water to heat back up so they can move around again

Wintertime... If you have Blue Catfish in your area, alot of the Trophy blue chasers prefer the Cold dark days of winter using cutbaits.. Blue catfish don't seem to slumber like flatheads and channels and actually the BIG! blues become pretty active feeders. Channel and Flatheads are very hard to coax a bite out of... You pretty much have to plop the bait ontop of their nose to hopefully get a bite.. They mostly want to "chill" (pun intended)....

Hopes this helps ya....

18. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    in boise. have used raw shrimp, dough and worms , still nothing, but im still trying lol seems not many people around here caqtfish, most ppl more into trout and fly fishing and bass more than cats which should me the local ponds that are stocked shoul;d have some biggums in there:big_smile:

19. thoroughbred

thoroughbred New Member

State:
    ID
    this helps alot thx so much. im going to a stcoked pond this week, again from what ive heard and seen not many catfishing up here mostly kids going for bluegill but not many other people there and being its so small (22 acres i think) i would think its tons of cats in there (tons of bluegill i see!) and im going around 8pm any tips feel free as of now im bring raw shrimp and soaking it with garlic powder/salt and worms for son(bluegill fishing) and if he catches any thats bait too i hope i get just one damnit !:angry:

20. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    welcome to the HOOD!!!!! Fishing never ends here in Arkansas...cant wait for some 30* weather:tounge_out: