When is a catfish too big to eat??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cnwamw, Jun 15, 2006.

1. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    How big is to big to eat when it come to catfish (flats,channels)

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    To me channel 5lbs flathead neverhad one to big yet. but i put most of them back. If i am catching a bunch in about the same size then i kep 1 or 2 to eat .but return the really big ones.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    There are some that will say nothing over 10 pounds and some that will say any size is fine to eat. Its up to the individual I feel. Me I dont keep any cats unless my neighbor wants some as I do not eat catfish myself. I cpr all cats just like my bass.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that is for you to deside. you need to know the fish consumption guidlines for your waters. then there is the conservation side of it. small fish are a renewable resorce. get educated on these two things and you'll make better judgements on what too keep.

good luck on your choices

5. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I only keep 1 or 2 and then there only 2-3 lbs. The bigger ones i put back because they are the future of the species.

6. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I'll have to say that i have never had one that I didn't like.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Properly prepared there is no catfish too big to eat. That said, it takes a long time up here north of the Mason Dixon for a catfish to grow to 20+ pounds. I was 38 years old before I caught my first one and that was due to specialized knowledge gained here. I personally find it conservational to encourage the release of anything over 10 lbs, but recognize as long as you keep it legal, you're fine. Hope you have many opportunities to make the choice "Is he too beg to keep or shall I return him?"

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Well said all of you! With attitudes like this the future of catfishing is a bright one!

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I give a great big thumbs up to EVERYONE who has posted so far not making this a CPR rant.

Great Job guys.

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I threw back 4 big fish this morning that I caught on trotlines. I kept several smaller ones up to about 7 lbs. It was not a moral thing. I just don't want to be eating big fish and I don't want those who get handlouts from me to eat them either. I believe they might have too many contaminates in them and I prefer the taste of the smaller ones anyway.

As for the catch and release thing. There's no limit here on catfish. One single local commercial fisherman may take 1,000 lbs. or more per day from the river. If they can take that much and still not deplete the fishery, then you guys fishing with rod and reel sure ain't going to cause a shortage.

If you get them legally, then keep as much as you need and put the rest back for someone else.

11. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Great post Mark. There are more cats in the waters than most people think. I'm not saying that I keep everything I catch, because I don't. We normally keep the smaller ones (3-7 lbs.) for eating. As far as how big is too big to eat? To each his own, I guess. Happy hooking!

12. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    You two make me wish I lived down South! I wish ours was an unending source.

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Shawn there are 5 house for sale right up the road from me and about 15 minutes fron the Altamaha river so what's stopping you????????? Come on down............LOL

14. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I've heard the bigger one don't taste as good as the smaller ones but I've eaten flats from 4-21 lbs and the 21 tasted easily as good as the 4.

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i don't usually keep anything over 4 or 5 lbs to eat... it has less to do with taste and more to do with breeding stock... i catch mostly channels and around that size they are of breeding age and i'd rather see them breed and make more then get eaten

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The biggest one i ever caught was 14lbs. I know thats "light weight" by comparison to what alot of folks on here have as a personal best. I let him go though, so I dont know what he would have tasted like. We usually keep 2 or 3 in the 3-6 range for channels and flats. Taste is OUTSTANDING when you hook it up right.

17. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,

OMG! Can you imagine?!?!?! Two guys with the best equipment available, fishing for monsters, discussing politics.... Do you make a rod that doubles as a epee? (Fencing sword) LOL

Besides that, I'd have to sell the car lot and all my rental properties and that ain't happening in this economy. No, I reckon I'll shiver a few more winters!!!

Imagine me... a Southerner.... Yeeeeee Hawwwwwww!!!!!!

I do like that Daisy Duke! although I most resemble Sorrell Booke (not the dead part)

18. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Well, in our waters I dont eat any over about 3 pounds and not to many of those! I think the fat is where all the polutants go! I perfer ocean fish ,though you got to watch them too!

19. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I ate a 12 # channel cat this past Sunday. A guy beside us caught it and he didnt know how to fillet it or anything so he gave it to us. It tasted yummy:big_smile:

20. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks for all the advise i will keep the future of catfihing in mind i think i'll go with thr smaller end