When in Danger, It Ain't Good. Think Safety

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by twaskom, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Hagen Grubbs

Hagen Grubbs New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    Hagen Grubbs
    I was in downtown Louisville and had great cell service but it was only a 1/2 mile drift to the ramp. They were dredging the lock so all of the barges were setting downstream waiting to lock through. None of them were under power. I guess I should have mentioned that in the video.

2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hello Hagen, Glad you and your son are safe. I am glad also that you posted that video. It might help keep other fisherman safe. We have been critiquing the incident. Me, mostly in hopes of getting others to think ahead of time.

Really enjoy your down to earth videos. Great family oriented fishing.

Stay safe &
    tight lines.

ramon06, Steve H, crcanter and 4 others like this.

3. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Welcome Hagen!

ramon06, Steve H, Welder and 2 others like this.
  4. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    Yep, glad yall got out safe. I bet that was a nail biter near that white water! I did really like how you got into a safe position and basically stopped to calm down. The intensity at moments like that can take us over and lead to bad decisions. Calming for a bit at a safe point is a great move. Clear your head and devise a plan. I hope someone watches and learns. Thanks for the video.

ramon06, Steve H, Welder and 3 others like this.
  5. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Old Squeezer Supporting Member

State:
    Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Thanks for the honest video Hagen and I took it as a learning experience as a reminder that things can and do go wrong. Your honesty about you and your son's experience will hopefully stick with both of you AND to others that watched it.

One of my hard earned lessons was about not buying the best fire extinguisher I could. Just the bare minimum (to pass inspection) isn't always enough.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    ramon06, Steve H, Welder and 3 others like this.
  6. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steven
    It takes courage to put your mistakes out on the internet. I watch every video Hagen puts out on his channel and he probably will save someone’s life with this one. Just this past spring two teenage boys and one of their Dads lost there lives in a similar situation at pickwic dam in TN. I applaud Hagen for posting the video and showing how quickly things can go sideways.
    I fish the MS river and have gotten in trouble on it as well before...it makes you think twice about where you anchor...and if fishing that good looking spot is worth the danger that could happen if you’re not paying very close attention to your surroundings. Safety should always be more important than even the biggest catfish.
    Thanks for having the courage to show the days that didn’t go as planned and welcome to the forum Hagen. Glad to see you here!!

Tommy Dean, Flat Top, ramon06 and 3 others like this.