When I grow up, I wanna be a.....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

When you were a child, did you have dreams/thoughts/plans of doing something in particular as a career? Are you doing it now?

I went through several phases myself......thought about becoming an architect, a lawyer, a teacher. Most of all, I wanted to be involved in show business, and star in Broadway musicals. There's no business like show business, like no business I know! I do none of that, and the most famous I've ever been is around here :smile2:. I still want to do something more productive with my life, but my thinking at this point leans towards becoming a chef or interior designer; either or, means back to school :roll_eyes:. Running a nursery (for plants, not kids :wink:) also interests me.

So, if you'd like to share, I'd enjoy hearing about what YOU wanted to be. :cool2:

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    in the army...did it
    have a family...got em
    be a millionare....working on it

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I started out wanting to be a stunt man then a biologist. An arguement with my mom cost me a college ed. so I didnt go and then I was thinking of opening my own kwoon (kung fu school) but my sifu moved out of state after 3 yrs of training. Now I work for the cable company. At somepoint in high school, as most young men have atleast joked about, I had the thought of being a Gynocologist but a female friend pointed out that there would be no benefit to it since most of my clients would either be old, diseased or pregnant. So there went the appeal of that profession.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Who to hell wants to grow up? LOL! Not me!!!!!!

5. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    As a child, I was sick alot with rheumatic fever and in the hospital. From those experiences, I decided at a young age I wanted to be a nurse. I did it, put myself through school with a 2 yo while working full time night. This was 33 yrs ago and I still love it; but my secret wish now would be to be a National Geographic photographer or to work on a barge. :roll_eyes:

Linda

6. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I started to be a world traveler, my teachers thought I'd be a astronaut (yea, he's takin up space)
    now I have settled in and I'm workin on being an onery ol coot,
    a real character.:big_smile:
    just think, how many millionaires can you name?
    how many real characters?
    I bet the millionairs lose:smile2:

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I always wanted to be a Police Officer or a stuntman LOL. I tried to become a PO but alas my test scores were not as high as needed, but I was adapt at working on computers so there you go.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I was young I always wanted to be a rock star. Jamming on a big stage and standing under the lime light......Well that didn't pan out. Now I do my jamming on the river bank and standing under the moon light. Close ain't it?:cool2:

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Lionel, I can think of a few who are both, millionaires AND real characters. When your ship comes in, you'll definitely fit the bill for both of 'em buddy! :wink: :smile2: (Come to think of it, I'd prolly resemble that remark myself :embarassed:.)

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I wanted to be a scientitst, then a stuntman, then I thought being a radio DJ would be great!! Along came MTV and it just didnt seem as cool anymore so a truckdriver like my Dad.. then I got tired of being alone and away from home all the time.. So I've decided "if and/or when" I do grow up, I'll just retire...LOL!!! (although being a fishing guide is looking interesting right now!!)

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Enjoyed reading everyones "wanna a be".

I didn't think very ambitious, only thing I remember that I wanted to be was a power company lineman. My dad always told me I'd be a lawyer. I disappointed him, I dropped out of school at 16. Enlisted in the AF at 17, for some reason they sent to telephone lineman/cable school. After service did a few odd jobs from driving a farm tractor, electricians helper (ditch digger), truck driver, etc. Then in the oil field got a job swamping on a oil well logging truck. Since I had phone cable experience I applied and got a job with Ma Bell. But never showed up for work for it would have been too much pay cut. Later got on as an operator in a petrochemical plant working swing tower (shift). And stayed with the same company for 32 years.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    In my case, it wasn't so much a "wanna be" as much as a "never wanna be". I never wanted to one day be an ol man sitting in a rockin chair on the porch thinkin about all the things I wanted to do, an didn't.

So far, so good. There is nothin I would like to have done, that I haven't. Nothin I would want, that I haven't found a way of gettin.

I do wish the rockin chair on my porch was a bit more easier on my backside, but I can live with that little discomfort.

I never knew how comforting it would be to watch hummingbirds all summer, an finches, canaries & sparrows, feed all winter.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

You sure? Sounds like you might need a cushion, want me to make ya one? :wink:

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't recall tellin' anyone that I wanted to be old and fat...:smile2::smile2:

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I allways wanted to have a job that paid enough that I could hunt and fish anyplace I wanted,Now I aint got enough money to even think about that anymore ,But I'm rich in my family,Got two great kids and two beautiful granddaughters. I cant really remember what I wanted to ever be ,Guess thats why I'm sorta a jack of all trades.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Always wanted to be in law enforcement. A Us Marshall. Never made the Marshall but did spend my career in law enforcement. I'm working on my second million. I never made the first one.:smile2:

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was tore between a brain surgin and a fry cook HA! just like jethro bodine LOL :smile2::tounge_out:

18. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    When I was a kid, my father was Sheriff in the County where I work. As far back as my memory goes, I wanted to be a Police Officer and at this point ive accompolished that goal. My mother always said that law enforcement is in my blood, I believe that because I have a son thats wants to be a police officer at the age of 8. Ive partially followed in my fathers footsteps. My next goal before just prior to retirement is to serve as Sheriff as my father did.

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Even though someone already beat me to it, when/if i ever grow up I want to be retired, that or a lottery winner.

20. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    when i was a kid i fished and hunted well thats what i wanted to do my whole life. worked for 16 years but the last 5 and until i die thats what im doing and gonna do so i feel like i won the lotery !!!!!!!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: my dream did come true.:wink:

hope all of my boc people have there dreams come true also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!