when hunting from a ground blind...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, May 26, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am making blinds for the upcoming deer season. they are all going to be on the ground since the texas panhandle is arborlogically challenged. i have been practicing shooting a lot from the sitting position. i figure i pretty much have to be 90 degrees to the trail, but actual sitting position is what's bugging me. i can hit the target okay with my left leg outstretched, and i can hit okay with both legs bent in a normal sitting position. however, i want to hit more than just okay! is there something i can do do make myself more steady, like i am standing, or do i just need to keep practicing like i am? thanks!

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I edited out my rifle sitting position tips..... just realized we are in the bow section :embarassed:. I can barely shoot my bow standing up. :smile2:

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am a straight up bada$$ shooting my rifles from the sitting postion grim, but thanks all the same! :smile2::wink: this bowhunting thing has me obsessed! nice blues in your new avatar, by the way.

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Practice...practice...practice is my only advise.

5. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    Maybe you should try from a nealing position. Use one of those small triangle seats then go to a nealing position from that. Just a thought.

6. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Other then just praticing shoting from the seating position. I do alot of hunting out of my Primos Vision ground blinds. It has taken me alot of pratice to shot just as accurate from the seating position as I can the kneeling or standing.

7. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I do alot of bowhunting from and on the ground. Practice, practice and a little more practice. Practice from many positions too. We use some pop up blinds too and you never know where the deer are gonna be and from what postion you'll have to shoot. Traditional gear is easier but you can have some luck with compounds too. With a compound lower poundage helps. I can draw my bow and hold it a LONG time. Its set at 48lbs. My trditionals are under 50lbs. Razor sharp broadhead and a tuned bow you dont need anything over 50lbs from the ground.

8. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I do 75% of my deer hunting from the ground. My last several deer were taken from the ground. Bow hunting is more challenging from the ground but is very rewarding. I usually do not use a traditional blind as it can obstruct many views. I prefer to take along a camp chair and use the natural brush as a blind and it has worked great. Besides not using a pop up blind gives you blend into the natural surroundings better than just throwing up a blind. Alittle off topic but I love deer hunting and espically from the ground.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've done a lot of hunting from the ground. I shoot a recurve, which is easier and faster, but I sometimes use a shooting stick. I have one that telescopes and has a wrist sling. It allows me to hold the bow at arms length much longer. Last season I used some camo material, a length of 1/4" nylon rope, and a couple small bungee cords. They make a great quick blind that you can shoot over instead of through. Everything rolls up and fits into a small day pack I carry. I bungee a small folding chair to the outside of the pack.

10. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. It is TOUGH to shoot from a setting positon, WHEN YOU ARE SETTING ON THE GROUND! Here is what I do: I NEVER shoot while setting on the gound, ever! I carry a light folding camp stool and set on that. This puts the bottom of your bow up off the ground, WORKS FOR ME!!! Try this and let me know how it works for you...

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    it should be noted that i am sitting in one of those dove hunting chairs with a back on them in the blind. my blinds are natural cover, not the pop up or box type. the only thing i use that isn't already there is some natural gear camo netting. i will wrap it around between small trees as a screen and it works great. my best looking blind is a blown down cottonwood's root wad. it is 20 yards from a trail i have killed several deer off of, 2 with the bow doing the spot and stalk thing. i siliconed the heck out of the chairs i use so they don't squeak. i have killed several deer and hogs this way with the rifle. as of now i am pretty good from the sitting position, just not as good as standing. i have been inflating those little water balloons and sticking them to my target. i can hit them out to 40 yards now consistently. i figure if i can hit something the size of my fist, i can hit the vitals on a deer or pig. since ammo prices have gone way up, i find myself shooting my bow more, which isn't a bad thing at all. killing deer with the bow brings back that rush i got hunting as a kid. thank all of yall for the help and tips!