When fishing medium to large lakes

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jedi007, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    in California, where are the Catfish during the day in the fall and winter? Does the water even get cold enough to drive them into deeper pools? I have seen a lot of controversy regarding this issue. Some say they remain in the shallows part of the time or go a little deeper than in the summer. Some say they stay right below the thermocline.

In a small to medium sized lake, if the average depth is 16-25 ft. Is that even deep enough to cause a significant change in the water temperature from the surface to the deepest hole?

Just trying to figure it out...

2. catfishruss

catfishruss New Member

State:
    California
    Depends where in california your talking about. I've fished from sonoma to san diego and most of the lakes are ALOT deeper than 16-25 feet. more like 70-150. To answer this for most so cal lakes the catfish are deeper 25-35 feet in the winter but also come in to the shallow water to feed just like they do in summer. Thing is depending on the water temp they are just less active. Although blue cats get more active out here during this time.

3. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    The lake I was specifically referring to was Guasti Regional Park in Ontario. I have been trying to get my children into fishing more and it helps greatly to have a smaller pond / lake for them to fish for safety as well as success.

No fish = no fun for the little ones. I appreciate the post.

4. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    there is also trout dont forget :big_smile: