When fishing live bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadchris, Apr 20, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    do u just hook em in the back and throw them,or should i be cutting the tail or something else before casting them?

note:i will be using bluegill/bream

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i depends on what im using for live bait. if im using gills i hook them behind the dorsel fin. if im using smallmouth i hook them through the lips. same with creek chubs. i don't usually trim my baits tails. i do know alot of people do though. i want my baits to be kickin in full force!! hope that helps some..

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I don't trim my gills either. I do scrape them up a little on one side.

4. MuddyWaterCats

MuddyWaterCats New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive found it better to use the whole thing and not to cut it at all. Just hook em in the back and let the catfish find them.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Hooking the fish in different places will cause the fish to act differently. For example, hooking it between the last bottom fin and the tail will cause it to swim upward; hooking it in the same place on top will cause it to swim down.

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    THATS A GOOD POINT, BUT FOR ME I HOOK MY GILLS THREW THE LIPS.
    I MEAN SINCE MOST PREDITORS EAT THEIR PREY HEAD FIRST I DO IT LIKE THAT AND HAVE PRETTY GOOD SUCCESS. GOOD LUCK:smile2:

7. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    If your using bream hook em behind the dorsal fin.Try to drop em in cause those long casts cut down on the time they stay kickn:big_smile: .Slappin the water shocks em I believe.Best of luck to ya!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i hookum in the forehead if im in current,or need to cast it far. if its slack ill usually hookum above and behind the anal fin.

9. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    My gills work best when I hook them just behind the dorsal fin, but staying above the spine. I also like to pull a patch of scales up on one side of the fish, I like to think that it puts more scent in the water.

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    When fishing in currents, its best to NOT hook them in the lips. They wont survive very long. Usually, through the dorsal fin is enough, but in lakes, I will hook them in the mouth, right between the eyeballs.

11. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Also, remember that hook diameter will make a difference. My gills will last hours longer on a thinner hook like an eagle claw kahle than on a hooks like some sea cirlces. Use the thinnest you can get away with, without having them straightened out, although I've never straightened out a hook on a big fish.

12. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I generally use a hook through the mouth into the head and a stinger in the tail

13. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well no one has said this yet but it seems to work the best for me, i hook them through the eyes and they seem to stay alive longer than any other way. I also get a lot more hook ups this way because of the way preaditor fish eat bait head first. They eat it head first because that is the way the fins on the bait go down, if they ate it backwards it would get stuck or cut up the fishes insides. Heck ive even used a blue gill once didnt catch anything so i put him back in the live well to use later because he was still alive. He just couldnt see anymore:big_smile:

14. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Not my thread but I'll thank you brothers for the great information. If I cant put my two cents in, Ill read dollars worth! Thanks again brothers,

Dru

15. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I hook them where there back begins to slope downwards towards the tail. Hook them just under the spine as to not paralyze them so they remain lively. I've never tried cutting the tail off or anything like that, I think that would just make them look too unnatural for a flathead to take.

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Since a flathead is a TRUE predator, he does not want an injured or sick bait. He prefers a live, healthy meal, to the other, so I do not cut my bait at all, just hook it behind the dorsal fin, with as light hook as possible.

I WILL trim the fins off of the larger bullheads at times, but only if they are more than 8" long or so.

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    when i fish live bait (goldfish or gills) i hook them right through along the bony part between the eyes and the mouth. they can be hard to cast this way, but they swim real well and will stay lively for hours. i once fished a goldy below a cork for 3 hours one time and he drug that cork around the entire time. would have been nice to catch a big flathead on him though. work really well.

18. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i hook them below the dorsal, dont cut them or rough them up tho gars usually handle that part.