When fishing in a river during the cold months

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by BILLYP, Feb 12, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I know to look deep, but would you want to look in the current or in the breaks? I was out this weekend in a break from the current and didnt even get a bite. Should I move into the current?

2. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Look for deep water breaks with little or no current. They don't want to exert too much energy fighting the current and looking for food when it is cold. If you have a depth finder you should be able to locate the cats in a big school and sit right over them, they will not move very much when it is cold.

3. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    thank you and this weekend I will try that. I just need to get a good finder now.

4. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    the current breaks are better, but i always seem to have better luck on the ledges of the river channel, ive fished the bottom of the deepest holes but never seem to do much good, i believe thats where the inactive fish are laying, i think the fish move up to the ledges and the humps near the deep holes to feed, thats where ive always had luck. i caught 4 blues about fifteen pounds on the ledges on saturday, thats nothing spectacular but its better than gettin skunked

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I fish in both the breaks and the in the running water. You do need to move around alot dont give a hole more than 30 min. If you dont have a good fishfinder but it shows depth just look for drops even if it is only 1-2' that will give them plenty of current break. Try using really fresh bait and go back to the some of the same holes that u think should be holding fish they probably are just might not have been feeding when u were first there. Dont give up the bite is really slow right now.

6. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    thanks im going to try again on Saturday, if nothing im going to work on the boat until it gets warmer. I kinda need to do that anyway.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    find the area thats holding the "most bait". makes for a easy meal for the cats weather it deep or shallow. i hear the deep water thing alot in the winter but it dont always apply to the area your fishing. ive never done real well fishing in deep water other than flatheads. when i say deep it depends on what lake im fishing also. things are changing all the time, so when you go back the place you fished last time might be the right spot too. all the fish i have caught this year have came from 20 to 35 ft at tillery this year. deepiest water in the lake is around 70ft. so for what ever reason the fish arent deep right now. water temps in the mid to low 40s now. i will say i think the fish are going deeper but they are not there yet. most of the bait is 20ft or less too. starting to see some bait balls in the main channel though. might be why the fish are starting to go deeper.:wink: but never count shallow water out when bait is present.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Where did you get the whole shallow water idea Michael? Seems like I seen some other boys in a Lund fishing shallow water a few weeks ago? hmmmmm.... just kidding with ya'

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i ve seen them do it for two years in a row now. i even told cmj before the tourney that he would be surprised at how them boys catch blues in shallow water and they did. i have laid the blues out at santee in shallow water 10-12ft in july also. look at the reports down there right now. most of the guys are fishing deep with not much luck. feeding fish are shallow. last year deep was the way to go but things are changing all the time. started out with a mild winter and thats why fishing has some folks messed up because they are fishing last years pattern. new year/new pattern but some patterns always work in the winter. just ask tomahawk.

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yeah, I know it man! I was just messing with ya'! I thought I was going to get out this weekend, but I don't think I'll be able to do it. I got some ideas to try out on Badin that I really need to get done. I need to get on the water, but as you know, work can tie you up and right now I'm tied up! later