when does the good fishing start?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by daredevle, Feb 18, 2008.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello brothers i was thinking when does the lm bass bite pick up not for lakes but ponds and whats the best lure for when this starts thanks and have a great day

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The good fishin is year round for cats.LOL Idont know a whole lot about bass fishin but I would think they will be biting now just use a worm and fish it slow and as the water temps rise switch to shallower water and top water lures. I GUESS?

3. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    been catching some at a small local pond on the warmer days, i mainly live bait fish so its either shiners or nighcrawlers, try a nightcrawler hooked once through the center sometimes i blow them up a little so they float about a foot of bottom works for me, most of the time:smile2:

4. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I thank good fishing starts the minute the bait hits the water. :big_smile:

5. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I caught a 6.5 lb and an 8 pounder 4 weeks ago when the outside temp was in the 30's. All of the bait fish and bream have moved to the deepest part of the lake. So what I do is watch the rip lines and throw out in front of them with a shallow diving broken back rebel. If the winds are not bad you can catch bass all day long. I caught about 10 this last week fishing about 2 hours. Really no size to them 1-3 pounds but its better than nothing. Hope this helps..

Ron

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You can catch the cats year round. In water with any type of current the bite should pick up as soon the the water temp clears 42 degrees (my experience) and with stationary pond-type water it will be slightly slower with the water temp needing to get up to around 48. The difference is that the pond should warm faster than running water.

7. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Early spring is a good time to start. If you are fishhing a big river try the mouths of feeder creeks into it. Even better if the water is rising. This is the time of year and place when we do most of are trotlining.

8. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris
    I just went 2 weeks ago in our Company pond and caught 15 large mouth, nothing to brag about as far as size, the biggest was about 4 lb. but I caught them on a #7 S count down rapala. I even have good luck with this bait in Lake Murray mostly in the winter months.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah that count down rapala works good for me too. I prefer the blue and white one and the silver one.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That count down rapala is a good lure. I prefer the blue and white one or the silver one.