When does it pick up?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Sep 24, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Just curious since this is my first real whole year for catfishing, at what point does the fishing get really hot? Do we have to have steady cool weather and drop water temps...whats your take on this?

gracias
    Bill

2. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    You tell me and we both will know. Just kidding. What I have heard it will get better about the middle of Oct. When it says cool and the water temp. stays cool the cats start feeding. Hope this helps

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    A good cool rain would probably do as much good as anything to improve fishing right now. Study cool weather will help. I'm going to down size my hooks and such cause there are a lot of smaller fish biting right now. Some of them may end up being bait a little later. I'm talking 10" or smaller channels. I built a cage to put in the pond to hold them in.

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Bill give your stretch of the river another month and a half (depending on our messed up weather) and you should be burning up some nice fish.

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    great, now I have to find something to do for the next month and a half! Looks like its time to bow hunt....

thanks for the info.

Bill

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck with the bow hunting watch out for the deer ticks ! If you find the ticks you will be on the deer tho !:wink:

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey Bill thats what ill be doing until then. I might go catfishing one more time between now and the middle or end of november. I use deer hunting to cop with the change in climate and it seems to work. cuz i normally start back in december and do very well. however if i kill my buck early then ill start fishing again after that, and do catch good fish in late october and november. So concentrate on killing the next beaty buck and when you are done, the bite will be one.

8. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Bill,
    Later in October through November the blue bite should be on fire. The bite would be good now if we had some current but the rivers here are just simply at a stand still. Rain+cooler water in November means big blues. I cant wait, both my PB'S came in November and my biggest in March. Alot of guys are winterizing there boats just as some of us a getting ready.

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill. Ross is dead on in that one. You wouldnt be able to tell by talking to him but he hasnt been catfishing all that long. He just sat down and focused on the sport and in my eyes he is one of the better fishermen i know. I remember about two years ago my dad telling me that he had talked to ross and ross was debating on joining the ohio valley river cats but was curious if dad thought he could even compete with us. and less than a year later he is one of the top anglers in our club. Take what ross says to heart because I listen to a lot of what he says and try to put it to use. And hes right about the current. That is just flat killing the fishering. Just dont winterize your boat like everyone else does. and on the days that it just feels so cold to go out, dress warm and hit the water. the fishing is wonderful. I used to not do much fishing in the cold months. but now i look forward to the cold months, because like ross said thats when he has caught his personal bests. And even though my personal bests have happened in the summer, i have caught more big blues just last year during the cold months then i probably have caught in the summer months with all the years i have fished combined.

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I dont even know what winterizing is! I go from fishing during the summer to bowhunting in the fall to duck hunting in the winter...then repeat.:smile2: I couldnt handle this weather or winter for that matter if I did not have something to do during the cold months. Most of the time I am the only boat on the river for miles, just me and the barges needless to say I really enjoy it, now I will have to pack my fishing rods along with my 12 gauge and decoys this year.

Is there bait available during the cold months or should I be freezing a bunch for myself? There are some warm water discharges near me so theoretically the baitfish shouldnt freeze...

thanks for the tips
    Bill

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey bill i know from experience that those discharges you are talking about do hold baitfish in the winter, shad, skips and even a few bluegill. however they are spotty sometimes. so i always start stocking the freezer this time of year with skips. and even some shad for that matter. so yeah you can get bait in the winter there, but id still freeze bait with how plentiful the skips are right there right now just in case they are harder later