When does everyone start fishing for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by foreverflathead, Mar 29, 2006.

1. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I was just wandering when is a good time to start fishing for flatheads? Is water temperature the big factor. I usually wait untill mid May but often wander if I should start sooner. Also I do alot of my fishing at night, does anyone catch alot of flats during the day?

2. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I start when the water temp hits 70 degrees.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Forever

Most here and myself would answer that a water temp above 55 is the time to start.

Flatheads will bite during the day but mainly in the mornings and again in the late afternoon.

4. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    water temps above 55 as stated above is a good plan.

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    in michigan my friends started in mid april and the water temps werent but maybe 40-45 degrees. A lot of smaller flats came up, and the consensus was that the larger ones were still gorging themselves on post-spawn weakened suckers that were still coming down into the river system from spawning in the ditches.

I didnt try till the post-rain part of mid-may.

I do know of guys who target em as soon as ice-out, but I rarely hear of much luck.

Remember the smaller rivers warm up faster- target the mouths with whatever you can legally fish with that is currently spawning in the colder early season. My spidey sense tells me that may be your key.

6. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here in Illinois I've been once so far and took a hit. But really aint had no more chances due to temps. and rain. But 50-55deg.(water temp.) you can catch them but you dont catch them consistent until about late May.

7. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I start when I start catching bait fish from the creek.
    April is when they start eating good.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    as soon as temps hit 55 i'll go a time or two, but i wait till temps are 60-65 ( mid-late april) before i start going regularly. from 55-65 degrees the channels go bezerk so thats what i spend time chasing.

9. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never used ta pay much attention ta water temperature. Always seemed like it was a matter of choice between mushrooms and blues (we called them whitecat back then), and the flathead followed close behind.

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ive been trying the last few days. Water temp just hit 42 today. If they are biting they are just barely smootchin the bait.
    No action yet. will try couple times a week till the water warms. Hope to hit 55 in the next couple of weeks.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I mainly fish cut bait for channels and flats, so I fish for both of them at the same time..I usually dont start to see much flathead action till early may here in ohio..Mid may till mid june is my favorite time, if the rivers are not flooded.