when does everyone kick off there catfish season?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by katplayer187, Dec 4, 2008.

1. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    So when does everyone kick off there catfish season? ive been up erie a dzn times already and that gets kinda old the fish fight nice but nothing like a nice size flathead? so does everyone target flats or channels first? and whats your early season bait choice?? im gettin the cat fever!!

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You'll have cat fever for at least another 5 months. That's almost half a year! channelcats can be caught in March but the flats out here don't get feedin until May.

If you wanna take care of your cat fever, I'd suggest the Potomac for James blues. if not, gotta wait until spring.

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    if we keep gettin 40 plus degree days I might get out local:wink:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    after ice out depending on cabin fever floodin & such ....thats filling the fridge time (LOL)

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i will start to venture out some probly in march like kenny said thoe depending on the flooding

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    catfishin season never starts or ends for me i go all year as long as the weather isnt extreme it does slow down in the winter but i still keep on trying

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Depending on the weather it's usually mid april before I start getting on the channels, late april for flatheads.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  9. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Late March or early April

10. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    does evryone use the same basic rigs and baits for early fish??

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I started my season nearly 40 years ago.... It just keeps getting better... :cool2:

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I haven't shut it off this year, been catchin bait and Flatcats every time out,, last ones, a couple weeks ago,,Mid Nov.
    Been threatening to go out again fairly soon, and see if there's any action still.

If it does shut off, March will begin next years season:wink:

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I start up for Flatheads mid April and fish for Blues on the Potomic in the winter. I use the same type rig all year. I use differant baits differant times of the year though.

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'll be startin up mid april and hittin the river hard, maybe around trout season ta catch some bait:wink:

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I usually start fishin' for Channel Cats mid April and Flatheads about beginning of May. The weather and water temps dictate when I get serious!

16. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    My catfish season never stops. This time of the year I usually use cut-bait. Try 2 get carp but sometimes u have 2 just settle 4 anything you can get this time of year.

17. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    My Catfish Never stops either. As long as i can stand the weather im out there fishing. Ive been fishing a few days before christmas me and few of my buddies i caught a few good size fish. one of us brought in a 53# Blue Cat. He took a picture and put it back for anohter day.

18. River dog

River dog New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I usually start out around late April after trout fishing with the kids for a few weeks then its cats for the rest of the year. My wife thinks I"m becoming obsessive I am already looking forward to April....

19. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    my wife has been saying the same thing even arguing with me at times and threatening me to leave I know she doesn't really mean it but it gets me worked up .She's beginning to understand it's something I have to do to be happy now her dad has cancer and refused treatment all he wants to do is go fishing with me so I am gonna take him as much as I can !!!!

20. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I start as soon as the river come's up and break's the ice. Last year it happend around the middle of Jan. so we had about a week of good fishin. Then it happened agen mid. March and that lasted the rest of the year. I love the Spring fishin the best, and that's when I do my best.:wink: