When does bass season begin

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by FlatGetter, Feb 21, 2007.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in central Illinois and im starting to bass fish about when should I start. time month, and water temp. What baits should I use? water deapth? and Ifish a man made structure-less lake. that s no deeper than 25ft. at the deepest point. any info will help me alot. Thanks

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Right now! go out and catch some through the ice! but if you wanna get out this spring if you are going out prespawn fish ledges and points with jigs and worms, fish pretty slow. You can speed up your presentation and switch to crankbaits, spinners, etc when the water warms up and the bass start the spawn.

3. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Let us know how you did.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    My donation for the
    Poor college kid! LOL

4. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    if the lakes are frozen over... well i cant help you there, but if they arent yo could start fishing now! just remember the colder it is the slower they are

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Slow rolling spinner baits and carolina rigged lizzards are the top choices in the spring.
    Fish the transition zones between shallow and deep .

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Anybody got any ideas where I can find some 9 and 10 inch plastic worms?

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    While the water is cold, find deep holes and jigging and fishing plastics slowly is the way to go. In Texas, winter is always the best time to go after the big ones, especially January and February. Down here, the males are already beginning to move toward the spawning beds...been in the 70's, so spawn should begin in about 2 or 3 weeks, then its shallow water fishing. I'd guess where you are, mid-April is when they'll really begin to move to the beds.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    John, Walmart along with any other tackle store seels them here.
    I love fishing with a 10 inch worm.

9. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I shop online for most stuff i cant find around here. Cabela's spring catalog has some good deals. I bought power worms and grubs for 10 bucks with the shipping included.

10. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    when does bass start to seek spawning spots?

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fished tournaments last year at the lake of the ozarks Mo.. The hot baits in the late winter around this time were suspending jerk baits,wiggle warts,and jig/pig, fish them slow. When the water starts to warm look for pea gravel banks, use carolina rig with lizzard.