When Does A Jugline Become a Limbline in OK?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Tulcat, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

OK, here are the Regs:

JUGLINE: Juglines are restricted to no more than five (5) hooks per line and 20 juglines per person. A legal jugline is a vertical line suspended from a nonmetallic or nonglass floating device, drifting free or anchored and has:
    • owner’s name and address attached;
    • been attended at least once every 24 hours.

LIMBLINE: Limblines are restricted to no more than two (2) hooks per line and 20 limblines per person. A legal limbline is a line attached to a limb, branch or other natural object and has:
    • the owner’s name and address attached;

My question:

I'm getting ready to do a trip to target some Flatheads with jug lines, but prefer to have my jug tied off to the structure I am fishing around to keep the fish from dragging the jug to timbukto or getting it tangled below the water line.

I guess it all boils down to what does the game warden consider "anchored" in the jug description to be? Is tied off to a log or limb a type of anchored, or did that jug just become a limbline which means that it now can only have 2 hooks instead of 5?

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I forgot to add that I have emailed this question to the "Ask A Warden" service, but am still curious as to how my other OK BOC brothers interpret the reg.

Thanks

3. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Try anchorin the jug(brick,window weight ect),and that'll keep ya legal to my local game warden.He said if I tie it off to a natural object then technicly its a limbline.Hope this helps bro

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.

My problem with using a "heavy" anchor is that since I'm after flatties my jugs will be in shallow water close to deep water, and then if the fish heads to the deep water the heavy anchor works in the fishes favor against the bouyancy of the jug.

When I'm doing anchored jugs for blues that is not an issue usually, as I will have my jug spooled to the deepest depth the water is around me so it is not possible to drag the jug to an area where the weight works against you.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    If your jug is attatched to a natural object, such as a tree, or a log, or a rock on the bank, it could also be considered a throwline.

TROTLINE/THROWLINE: Trotlines/throwlines are restricted to no more than three (3) lines and 100 hooks per person. A legal trotline/throwline has:
    • no glass or metallic floating device on the line;
    • no metallic posts in water for attachment;
    • lines made of nonmetallic material only;
    • hooks at least 24 inches apart;
    • owner’s name and address attached to each line;
    • been attended at least once every 24 hours;
    • not been set within three (3) ft. of surface of water at any point beyond six (6) ft. from either point of attachment, except at Great Salt Plains and Ft. Supply reservoirs where water is less than three (3) ft. deep.

I spoke with Monte Reid, Locust Grove........(918) 373-0767 *(Game Warden from Rogers Country)* and he confirmed that as long as your jug is attatched w/in 3 ft of the point of attatchment, then it could be considered a throw line as it would then drop below 3ft of water withing 6ft from the point of attatchment.

Thus, you can go up to 100 hooks total, and 3 lines.

6. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Tony,

I'm looking for clarification, not more confusion...Ya big troublemaker! LOL

Based on your post, how does one differentiate between a Limbline and Throwline, since both can be attached to "natural objects"?

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    not been set within three (3) ft. of surface of water at any point beyond six (6) ft. from either point of attachment,

That is part of what makes the two different. I limbline can be in 2 ft of water, 10 feet from the limb. A throwline can't.

Also, that is why I called the Game Warden for clarification. He said as long as it drops to 3 ft below the surface of the water for anything past 6 ft from the "attatchment" that he would consider it a throw line.

Also, for flatheads around log jams, he suggests a trot line, as you can tie 1 end off to the bank, and the other end off to the middle of the log jam and cover more ground.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Jim,

I've made limblines before this way. I put a small 20 oz bottle on the end of my limbline and then just wrap it around the limb several times instead of tying the line to the limb. This is a quick and easy way to put in and remove limblines. Just remember no more than two hooks instead of five. The line is actually tied around the limb it's just has a bottle on the end. Since the jug is not floating in the water it's a limbline. I've also done this with willow branches to make bank poles. A bank pole would also be considered a limbline. Now if a limb line jug came off and was in the water and you already had 20 jugs in the water I guess would be be breaking the law but not on purpose. I've had twenty jugs out before and twenty limblines this way. When I use limblines I use only one hook and one big bait. You can use two hooks on a limbline but two big baits swimming around can get to be a tangled mess IMO.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Seems obvious to me!!!!;) If you set out what you think is a jugline and the game warden throws you in jail then it was not a jug line but a "throw" line.Same thing applies to limblines.If you are "thrown" in jail then you will need to familiarize yourself with "Bail" which is not the shiny silver part of a spinning reel,nor what you do to a rapidly filling boat.It might be best to move to another state or take Tony with you and tell the warden they are "hislines" which solves the problem.LOL;) :p :)

10. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Great points Jim.

I think I will take all the guess work out and just label all the lines with Tony's name, LOL.

11. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Sure, as long as I get 1/2 of the fillets LOL

Speaking of, I am hoping to get to eat the spoonbill this week. The Caviar was very good, but, we repackaged and froze the fillets.

12. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I'm glad you liked the caviar. I served some at a family breakfast, and most everyone tried some. I unsuccessfully tried to get my 7 year old nephew to try it, I told him it was a new cereal called "Spoonie-O's", but he didn't buy it.

My dad, who is a caviar fan, said it tasted like it should and enjoyed it.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your gonna put Tony's name on the lines, make sure you have a "signed" letter from him giving you permission to run "his" lines, or you could be back up the creek again. lol

14. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

My wife couldn't watch me eat it. It was funny, she can sit there and talk about some of the NASTIEST things with people she worked with at a hospital while eating, but couldn't watch me eat fish eggs. I loved it!!!

15. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    :confuse: man o man u guys have got me in a dither:doubt: :beauty: :sweat: i dont know what to do any more had it all figured out until today !!guess ill just have to do it like the law says:crying: lol have a day

16. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Next time just tell her they are "Spoonie-O's", and see if it works for you :cool:

I think they were best on scrambled eggs, but they weren't too bad on a cracker with a squirt of lemon juice.

17. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I hear ya Ray... you almost need to drag a lawyer around with you to decifer the regs it seems. But it sure pays to stay legal, that's for sure.

I'll post the reply I get from the ODWC after I get it.

18. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Here's the regs on Limblines

LIMBLINE: Limblines are restricted to no more than two (2) hooks per line and 20 limblines per person. A legal limbline is a line attached to a limb, branch or other natural object and has:
    • the owner’s name and address attached;

Here's the regs on Juglines.

JUGLINE: Juglines are restricted to no more than five (5) hooks per line and 20 juglines per person. A legal jugline is a vertical line suspended from a nonmetallic or nonglass Floating device, Drifting free or Anchored and has:
    • owner’s name and address attached;
    • been attended at least once every 24 hours

Now as long as the line is attached to a "natural object" then it's considered a limbline. A jug attached to the end of the line as long as it's not in the water Floating you will be fine.

19. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

See that is the key here, as I plan on the jug Floating with hooks suspended below, but the top of the jug is going to be tied off to a log or limb to keep the fish from moving the jug very far.

So what is it, as set up like that? Couldn't one consider tied off to a log as a type of anchoring?

20. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Nope, Jim that would be considered a jugline, NOT a limbline. If it's floating then it's a Jugline. Sorry there buddy. Do as I suggest on my limblines and you will be legal.

If you want to do log lines go buy some heavy duty rubber bungee cords. Nail or screw them into the log. Then run your line off the bungee.