when do you stop fishing for flats?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Biscuit, May 8, 2008.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    when do they start nesting?

2. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    If you mean spawning by nesting. I belive flatheads start to look for spawnin habitat once the water gets bout seventy degrees. Usually this will happen bout early june. depending on what part of the country you are. I leave fish alone during the spawn but if you choose to fish them they will be in tight cover in bout four feet of water in log jams and undercut banks for example. Usually the general catfish population comes off the spawn bout early july. In your area it could be different as far as time they start and by the time they get done depending on where you are in the country. Hope this helps at least give you an idea on whats up with the spawn just factor in all the different variables for your area and you should come out on top. Just be sure to follow your states regulations if any for the harvest of catfish during the spawn and C.P.R:cool2:

3. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Flatheads spawn when the water temp. gets around 70 degree.I never STOP fishing for flatheads!! NOT all flatheads spawn and not all flatheads spawn at the same time!Once the females lay the eggs the male gaurds them and chases the female away,the eggs hatch after about a week and the male gaurds them for a few days longer.You WILL still catch flatheads during the spawn! I fish for flatheads all 12 months of the year. hope i helped

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I agree with everyone I too never stop fishing for them and when the water temps are warm they spawn, you can still catch flatties all year around, seems like its more prodctive fishing for them in warmer water temps but you can still catch them good luck to you and on your fishing trips.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i never stop fishing for flatheads but the nesting or spawn seem to beone of the best times to get them rick

6. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I stop fishing for Flatties when it's time to go home.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I'm with Brett! They all don't spawn at once. In fact my friend caught a 20lber with eggs in August.

Although the are tougher to catch during the spawn, they are still catchable.

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i fish for them year round but my favorite month is october.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    NEVER stop!!!...................the spawn just means bring a bigger cooler!:smile2:

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'M WITH BROTHER HILLJACK, JUST BRING A BIGGER COOLER

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Because the flatheads movements and metabolism is directly controlled by water temps, we have found that feeding slows dramatically when the water temps dip below 50 degrees. So sometime in November or December depending on water temps.....we switch over to a wintering hole for bluecats and fish for them through the winter and until the water temps get back up above 50. Then we switch back over to our Flathead spots and fish for them all spring , summer, and fall. And then onto the wintering Blues again. Just like clockwork!!!:big_smile: