When do you start getting your traps ready?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by 223Smitty, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For the upcoming season? I like to wait until it cools down before I fire-up the burner & start the boiling & waxing, it makes it alot nicer not to be sweating my rear off in the process.

I do have alot of traps to complete modifications on, some to repair, and some to tune, which I'll do gradually over the course of the next couple of months. This doesn't include any new purchases I'll make between now & then at conventions or from individual sellers though.

Our K9 (and skunk) season opens the middle of October, everything else comes-in the middle of November. I like to have them done (dyed & waxed) about 30 days in advance, then spend the remainder of the time setting up the skinning/fleshing area & double-checking everything to get ready for opening day.

Smitty

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I took care of the waxing and dying as soon as the fur was sold. I spent about a week getting them ready for next season and put away. I have not worked on my new killer traps (2 doz) but I will wait till it cools of some. I have been to busy working on the fur shed right now. I plan to have every thing packed and ready to load by the end of Aug though. I like to take put everything up ready to be deployed again when I am through with it. I can not stand to go put something out and have to work on it or untangle it. I do this with my fishing gear, my hunting gear, and my trapping gear. That way when you need it, you can grab it and go.

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Since I trap year around my traps dont get as much care as they need but the stay pretty ready. Right now I cant find my wax pot. I have been looking everywhere for another one flea markets yardsales and so on. So far I have come up with nothing. Oh well keep looking.

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What type of wax do you use? I have a box plant just up the road from where I work, and a uncle who works there. I can get 5gal of the over flow off the coater machine from him. It works better than any wax out there due to the fax they put risen in it to make it flexible. I can't stand the wax that flies off when you dry fire the trap. I have about 2.5 gal of just the risen left at home. I use a home made 4 gal bucket, I made out of a peace of 12 pipe. Just welded a bottom on it and put handle on. Works really well, I just leave the wax in it year round and I add to it as needed.

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Stephen- I use a 3 gallon pail I got at the dollar store. I rinced it with muratic acid to remove the galvinization, then boiled some baking soda in it a couple times to neutralize the acid.

Michael- I just buy trapwax, and like you, leave it in the pail all year. I'd be hesitant in using the wax you mentioned, as I'd be afraid it contained too many foreign odors.

When you wax, be sure to leave your traps in the hot wax long enough for the trap to reach the same tempature as the wax. Otherwise, you'll get a thick & uneven coating on your trap.

Smitty

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Thanks 223 I thought those pails would just burn up with the heat I will run to the dollar store sometime this week and see if they have one. I use just regular trap wax.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have not missed a animal yet because of any odors. The wax is just plan ole wax with a pine base risen in it. No cracking, and flying off. The old man that got men started taught me to use it. Worked for him for 40+ years now. Can’t beat the price and durability it gives.

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana

lol....I'd be curious as to your explaination of how you'd know that :big_smile:

lol....just yanin' yer chain.......:tounge_out:

Smitty