When do you start fishing to big blue catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by bigsmitty13, Jul 22, 2008.

1. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been hearing many differing opions on when and why people begin targeting large blue cats as opposed to the smaller ones. I am trying to find some good theories and techniques for landing a trophy cat. I mostly fish Lake Tawakoni, but have some opportunities in other places I plan to fish as well. Any ideas will be appreciated.

2. kayakcattin

kayakcattin New Member

State:
    texas
    fall is the time when most trophies are caught. as soon as the water temperture starts dropping the race is on. but fall is when all spieces of fish start eating heavenly. hope this helps good luck!:wink:

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Fall and winter is when I go after them.Thats not to say that one can't be caught any other season.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Late fall and winter, or early spring......I have caught my biggest fish in Dec......

5. sigmanusportsman

sigmanusportsman New Member

State:
    Texas (living in AR)
    granted that I have never caught a huge blue, but winter is when I have had the best luck with larger cats. I have heard that the big blues like to swim around in the flooded grass late in the evening and early mornings...

6. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never caught one but if you look at 100 pictures of big Blue cats in the arms of fishermen. 99 of the pics look like it's cold and nasty outside. I'm guessing it's like deer hunting. You need cold wheather to get the big boys out and about to feed.

7. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish for them year round. BUT I dont always catch em though. I caught my pb 62 # blue in july but have caught more big fish drifting cut shad after the first real freeze when the shad die.

8. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    late fall is the best time. do you use a drift sock ?? we have been using cut buffalo with great success:eek:oooh:

a country boy can survive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    fall and winter for blues on lakes., and rivers would be the same but the osage river i fish in missouri is good in spring and summer also if we have a steady current of water flow out of truman dam .

10. wiskerkitty61

wiskerkitty61 New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish for them year round. I have had my best luck in the fall and winter months. I usually get good results prior to a good coldfront. Usually a couple to 3 days prior to frontal passage. They tend to be on the move and feeding heavy.

11. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I've just recently targeted big blues, was catching smaller ones. So far I was catching them under 5# using crawlers, minnows, shrimp, punch bait, and shad, also used a occasional blue gill with no takers. I was fishing the rocks day and night and drifting durning the day, mostly early morning. I started drifting with shad and blue gill day & night. I caught some nice ones under 5# durning the day on shad . At night I caught 1 18lber and a 26lber, caught them 1.30-3.30am on shad. I had some good hit on 2-4" blue gill but didn't catch them . The night I caught the 26lber it was the only one I caught and I fished from 7pm until 4.30 am, I had other bites even felt another big one that shook the hook. I'm still working on my drifting strategy concerning hooks and the bigger live shad tangle my line ever time! Also I'm currently fishing with a 15# mono line . I also need something to control the speed of the drift on windier nights, I used a anchor, but worried about the effects. I like to get a drift sock but its not in my budget at this time!

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    blues will follow the shad so find the big schools of shad and the blues will be cloose by.

13. boogie man

boogie man New Member

State:
    texas
    i fished last week before ike came in and we got a dozen in the 8pd. range.we drifted through a school of shad getting hit by gars. the blues were under getting cripples we assumed. we were using frozen shad. in winter i get bigger blues in deep water. i've got several large flatheads this time of year fishing crappie holes around timber. going in the morning again.later

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Make you a drift scok out of five gal. bukets cut a hole in the bottom and drag it , it will work

15. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Great idea!!! Thank you!!!