When do you start fishing in Iowa?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by lilrivercatman, Mar 12, 2007.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When do you start fishing in Iowa? What degree should the water be that will be optimum for catching some nice ones?

2. SlowPoke

SlowPoke New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went out yesterday landed 7 cats between 3& 5 lbs. I was non a small lake that was 3/4 frozen over still. I live in SW Iowa. I tried the shad and no respons i got them on worms. Good luck and give it a try.

3. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    You can catch them as soon as there is some open water.

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Open water is all it takes...of course right now the majority of open water is in the rivers and they are all running close to flood stage around here with all the ice and snow thaw. Shouldn't be long until the larger lakes have enough open water around the shorelines to get a line wet.

5. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i went out last weekend and netted a bunch of shad in the tune of an entire garbage bucket full.(my guess about 250#) then it took me and 2 others about 2 hours to gut them all. wow what a chore. Then sunday i had 2 hours to kill and went out on the mississippi and we got 4 fish in the boat. 3 smaller ones and a 4# fish or so. was fun to start the season.!!!!! the first bite was a sight for sore eyes! The majority of bites were very short. i think a lot of fiddlers. an entire season to come ! get out there.

6. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That pretty much it - soon as the ice goes out and you have a place to cast in. I'm going out myself real soon.

7. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    April 27th is me birthday. Thats the day I make my first trip to the river. I could start earlier but I'm very superstitious and thats my opening day.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Im in the Des Moines area and the lakes are still pretty frozen. I went out to the South River right when the snow was about all melted. It was about 2 times its normal size and couldn't even catch baitfish with my cast net. I used nightcrawlers because I was expecting to get at least some shad or bream and didn't get a bite. Next time I'll be more prepared and hopefully catch. The lakes will be a little open soon and I'm excited to try em out!