When do you start fishing for/catching flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Mar 2, 2006.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    (I'm fishing in coastal South Carolina.)

Last year I started fishing flatheads twice in April, but didn't catch the first one until May 8th
    (mostly, I think, because of high water and bad timing -
    like fishing on a cold front).

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    By the way -
    last April the water temps were 65 and 68 on those 2 fishless trips.

First fish of the year came from 73 degree water. Deffinately were fish active before that. Like I said, I had othetr issues the first 2 trips.

Last (targeted) fish of the year on November 6 (63 degree water), plus one on cutbait on December 4th.

3. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    I'm new to the flatty world. I want to learn how to catch them... heck I'd be tickled to catch just one. I've given up bass fishing and am going back to cattin. Just a question... what are some generic guidelines for finding a flat? I know they are predators. I know local conditions vary so much it's hard to answer. Also, where is the BOC library? I can't find it. thanks

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in ohio I can usally pick up a few flatheads in april, generally smaller fish..The month of May finds them going on a feeding spree and is my best month, if we are not having floods on our rivers...I usually find that water temps in the 60's the big flats start to turn on, in preperation for the spawn.

5. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I usually start in April because thats when the weather starts getting a little warmer and I can't stand being cooped up anymore. Don't catch to many though until May and into early June, the best time of the year for me. Next best is not until October and fishing almost only in the deeper holes.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jacks right. depending on how warm its been i might start in mid april but it seems all you get are small fish until may hits.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I start fishing for flatheads when the water temp hits 55 degrees.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I spoke to the owner of a campground at Santee three weeks ago and he said they caught several in the month.

9. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Late April early May

10. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    About 50deg. some will start feeding. It is hard to be at the right place at the right time until May, when they hit pre-spawn.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    CraigO,

Like anything in life if you want to be successful catching flatheads you need to learn all you can about the species you are after. I cant think of a better place to learn about catfishing than right here at the BOC. To start off with location and structure are the just two of the main ingredients. Flatheads are territorial predators and prefer not to travel too far to feed. I try to find areas in the river where there is a sudden change in depth from deep holes to shallow flats and fish the transition area intercepting flatheads moving from the deep holes to shallow water for feeding. This type of location have produced good for me from late afternoons to early in the evenings. Also keep in mind that in rivers the flatheads prefer slack waters or slow moving current. Submerged logs, timber, stumps,large rocks and concrete slabs are prime structures to target. I usually use live baitfish such as bluegills, creek chubs, and large goldfish on a slip sinker rig or carolina rig. Cut bluegills,skipjacks, shad and mackeral all have work good for me in the past. Let us know when you get your first one. Good luck

The library is located here, it is called " Informative Member Posts"
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=184

12. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i like to fish for flats when water temp hits 65 to 70

13. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Whe the Dogwoods start to bloom, it's time to fish.

14. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I start in the middle of april hell or high water

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    April is my best month in Evansville, Indiana and Yuma, Arizona.