When do you quit targeting flathead catfish for the year

Discussion in 'LOCAL MINNESOTA TALK' started by Ketch, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What things determine when you stop flathead fishing for the season?
    Is it a calendar date (or another thing opening like hunting) or a certain water temperature?

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Water temps are the deciding factor for me. When the water temps get too low the flats get really sluggish and the action gets slow. The coolest water temp that I have ever caught a flat in was 64 F. I haven't heard of too many caught with temps lower than that.

3. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    we get them into the fall easy, water temps here are already <64*

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Until this year, my rods were hung up and I was thinking Christmas. Yesterday I caught a flattie @ 3pm in 50 degree water. My depth finder may have been off but it is chilly water.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Flatheads do get more sluggish, but they feed year around. Their metabolism may have slowed way down, but they still have a stomach. So, you could say to quit fishing for them on Dec 31 and start again on Jan 1 - wouldn't be far wrong. LOL

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Our water temps are close to 40F. Have not heard of a flat caught in a long time. If they are they are usually snagged. Studies up in MN have shown the the Flats go dormant in these temps to the point of having silt settle on them when divers come across. They say it can be site to see when a large groups are stacked like chord wood with no movement what so ever. Ice will be covering the rivers in the next month and then we wait till next may for them to start biteing again. Wish I was in a warmer climate that allowed for a longer season. Lots of cat guys are wishing for a fish.:wink:
    I guess I'm glad that I'm not a diver in water that cold. Brrrrr.
    thanks
    Larry

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they do stack up like your talking larry. i have an ohio thread in the local river talk about fall flats...you can catch them when they hole up. but, have to be able to change presentations accordingly. they won't move far, but if you can keep the boat ahead of them and fish them back, even if fishing them with jigs with small cuts... they will occasionally eat.. goodluck brother...rollo