When do you quit catfishing for the year?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by catfishcatcher, Sep 25, 2009.

When do you quit catfishing for the year?

1. Do you catfish all year?

2. Do you stop after summer is over?

3. Do you stop after fall is over?

4. Do you stop for deer hunting?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Here is an interesting poll that I thought would be a new topic to talk about. I am interested when the brothers and sisters of the B.O.C quit catfishing for the year? I normally stop once deer hunting season kicks in but this year I have decided to fish a bit longer. Thanks.

2. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i would probably fish all year but since i farm and we have already been out in the feilds but the rain this week has kept us out so i am hitting the river one last time tomorrow night to give it one last go. so i wont have time to fish once we start at it hot and heavy. plus deer season is starting.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Only time I stop is when the boat ramps get too icy to launch. Winter time is some good fishin' for channels and blues in my neck of the woods. i don't hunt anymore, so it's on anytime I can get out.

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I decided back in mid summer I was going to catfish all winter long and not deer hunt this year.

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I'm just getting started. I am, however, from Hoosier country and I used to switch from catfish to steelhead in the fall/winter when I lived up there.

6. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Flatheads turn off around here in October. I'm gonna try to catch channel cats through the ice this year though--so I guess I'm not stopping fishing for them at all this year!

7. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I fish all year...

8. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    December 31st is the last day I will consider fishing. :0a18:

9. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I catfish year round but I live in Fl. We only have a few days in winter to cold for me to fish.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Soon as it gets late fall i'm homebound, I will occasionally go if im bored for some bull blues.:roll_eyes:

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ill catfish year round. I do find it harder though to get out and go when its freezing. Ill think of excuses not to go. But I still go. even if the ramps are too icy ill try to find some way to get the boat in. and if the creek is froze up that i am putting in or wherever im thankful for having a Deep V and just break through it. And im also thankful for the big deep v cuz i can put a heater on the boat and try and stay warm. Which is very hard when you are on the fish :big_smile:. If i just fished out of a jon boat or smaller than what i use then i would never go. cuz the heater at least allows me to get my hands warm. and i think the best blue cat fishing is in the winter especially if you can find where they are schooled up. it might take a lot longer to find them but man can it pay off

12. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i stop fishing in later oct but having meet ppl that do blues in the winter time on the ohio i plan on going out with them this winter i was a hunter and just gave up hunting and just hunt catfish

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  13. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    I have fished all year long for catfish for years. Usually in the winter time i switch to basket fishing and fill my freezer up with 3-4 pound channel catfish fillets. It is much nicer with out all the jet skis and bass boat buzzing by in the winter time.

since the baskets require very little time to set and re-bait my time to go hunting is not impacted that much. And most fishermen do not brave the cold mornings and nights so I feel like the fish co-operate alot more.

You just need to remember to dress extremely warm. That wind chill cuts like a knife.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm done in October pretty much....

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I fish year around,but in december january and febuary most of our water is hard on top,so we switch tactics and gear and go ice fishing,I can't say I target cats all that much through the ice,but always catch some channels,and one year pulled up 5, 50+lb flats in one afternoon through te same hole in the ice,all were released. they were caught with a two foot long jigging rod,6lb test and a castmaster in 42 foot of water. I fiqured I must have opened a hole in the ice right over the top of their wintering hole,pure luck probably but alot of fun.

16. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Between Skippi2use and I we are gonna change that crap!:angry:

17. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    when they stop biting! :eek:oooh: Normally late oct. Last year it was mid nov. I guess the same for this year. :confused2: I'm seriously thinking of deer though for the first time in decades. :wink:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cool

19. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I usually switch over to walleye fishing in the end of the year...The bait is too hard to catch so I switch it up until spring time comes back

20. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    were those flatties real sluggish and come straight up?