When do you guys start catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Feb 24, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wonder when do catfishing, pick up for u guys?

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Whenever the temperature is over 50*F and I get a ride to the lake lol. Or whenever I get around to picking up bait.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    A better question would be..."When do we stop fishing for catfish?"

NEVER!!! Blues and channel can be caught year round. Just gotta locate the shad or whatever prevalent baitfish you have in your area in deep water during the colder months...even if you have to chop a hole in the ice! They will still bite.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    Fish dont stop eating during the winter, they just arent as agressive, and are in deeper water. from now till middle of summer I fish the mouth of tributaries that run into the main river. finally got a lil spit o rain this mornin, so think ill go try out my new minnow trap i made.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    channels can be caught around here year round (no blues in my neck) but it requires a lot of patience. things really pick up around the end of feb-early march.

6. Jeff2069

Jeff2069 New Member

State:
    LA
    I start as soon as the wife will let me get my boat in the water hahah

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Absolutely...takes lots of patience. I have found that my depthfinder is my best friend in that scenario. Just find the deepest hole you can find...that's where huge schools of channel will congregate. It's not that hard to catch them...even though they dont bite as aggressively as they normally would in warmer weather.

8. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    A better question for me to ask is when would bank fishing start since i can go chasing after the shad? I fish the ohio River and local ponds and lakes. I have went pond catfishing 3 or 4 times when the temp has reached the 60s but on has had 1 bite so i guess its not warm enough yet.

Thanks Zac

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    CJ, I caught my first channel cat back in the middle of january. A nice 3 pounder on cut shad, at a lowhead dam. I've even cut holes in the ice at my dads pond and caught them in the dead of winter. Fought better than any bass I caught in the summer.

10. fishmania

fishmania New Member

State:
    kentuky
    year around for me and the guys I fish with we went out saturday I did not do so good but my budy vern caught about 15 cats

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I may look like i am trout fishing or bream fishing or scratching my fat behind but I am always catfishing

12. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Who stopped?
    LOL

Actually i plan on hittin the cats hard this week and fer the next couple weeks but i fish year round fer em.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Went fishing yesterday, by the time the sun went down it was below freezing.
    While I was packing up I got the only fish of the trip, right at or a little after dark.

14. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    As soon as deer season is over!

15. AdamL

AdamL New Member

State:
    NC
    Around here the only thing that keeps you from catchin cats is how much effort your "not" willing to put into it. If you're prepared to be out in the cold and know where to find the fish, the season never goes out.

16. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Usually by the time the kid reaches 3-4, or can hold onto a pole without getting pulled in! HeHe:) After that I never stop.:grin-big: :grin-big:

Frank

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It never really stops for me.

I have caught my biggest cats in February.

Later in March things will start to pick up as far as volume goes. Right now my trips are usually netting 5-8 catfish, but as spring apporaches that number should increase to 10-15 and as they head to creeks to spawn the numbers will increase to 20+.

Spring cats are easy to find, but I do like the challenge of locating the winter cats. They are harder to catch, but you really feel like you have accomplished something when you catch 10 nice cats on a 40 degree day.

18. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I broke some ice to get my boat in the water yesterday. I hope to catch a cat or 2 today but I don't expect the action to pick up for about a month or so.

19. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I start fishing for Channels around the beginning of May.

20. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Going to start hitting it hard this week. It is supposed to get up to 60 tomorrow with rain. I'm hoping it will turn them on!!