When do you cut your line after use?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by stone, Mar 15, 2008.

1. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    i cut the length that has lost its shine. I am not sure if this is necessary but with mono line it sometimes happens after 1 trip. It seems that mono lines loses its shine very quickly and i tend to associate that with the line being not so as good anymore. whats your opnion on this?

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Before I hit the water each time. I cut about 8-10 feet off. This seems to be where all the nicks, scraps.and abrasions are, and this is the amount that has caught all the light more then what is on the spool. I change all my line at least twice a year. This seems to keep everything going well with my line.

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I don't cut my line because it has lost its shine. I do a lot of surf fishing and fishing rocky bottoms, where I cut the line after it is chaffed or nick. I don't have to cut it since I always use a shock leader something like 40 to 60# which is more durable than the lesser pound test line only because of its diameter. In general it is always advisable to cut some line off after a fishing trip, where the line is susceptible to abrasion.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I inspect my line before i go out and after i catch a fish or get hung up.i check for nicks and things like that,if i see one i cut it and set back up.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A good rule of thumb to follow is. Catch a fish . Check and cut your line as needed. Slide it through your fingers you can feel any nicks or crimps. If your fishing rocks or brush check it more often than normal.

6. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    With braided line I look and see if there are any frayed looking areas and cut it there. A good example is where a sinker slide goes up and down near your mono leader or a no-roll sinker directly on your line goes up and down. I also routinly cut and re-tie my knots at least every trip! I DONT need an equipment failure!!!!:embarassed:

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i do the same thing. i hate when i break my line.

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I check the line for about 10 feet for so, if there's any doubt, I cut it off. Taking care of the line is cheap insurance for big fish. I ALWAYS cut off hooks, etc, and re-rig before every outing. Even the do it on the kids poles. My friends used to tell me that I'm just wasting time, then, once while blue gill fishing, I cut off some doubtful line, re-rigged, and on the next cast hooked a 10lb carp. 10 minutes later, I landed the fish. After I released the fish, I took the line I had cut off and showed them the nicked area. The rod I used was 6ft light action with 4lb test. Now my friends re-rig regularly too.

I change line at least once a year, more depending on how often that particular rig is being used. I store my line and gear in the garage, out of the sunlight as well.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    This is all very good advice. I wouldn't go as far as cutting out all the line that has lost its shine because that could just be some effect that particles in the water have on it- but either check that 8-10 feet and let it be (if it's still smooth), or cut it off if it has nicks and abrasions. You'd be surprised at how long heavy mono will last.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use braid for main line, but mono for leaders about 30" long. after each fish or snag, i feel it for nicks, and retie if i have to. i always check the braid for wear as well and retie to my swivel and use new beads before each trip.