When do you all start having luck with dip/stink baits?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by catfishjohn, Apr 28, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    When do you all start using and having luck with dip/stink baits? I have all kinds of Hog Wild and Hog Wild Premo that I won from the Magic Bait giveaway last year that is still in the box in my building. I was reading a post about homemade baits and got to wondering this. I know I've usually used it later in the summer and had some success at times with it. Usually I target the flatties with live bait but plan on using all these great products I have and to stock up on the channel catfish fillets. Has anybody had much luck in rivers/current with it or mainly just lakes? Thanks for the info!!!

2. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I personally have not had any luck in the river with it. I do have alot of luck in the lake in all seasons.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John dip baits come in to play for channel and blue as soon as the temp. is warm enough to break the dip baid down.Yes, I have had luck with dip baits in river current. I keep it thicker and bait more often. I don't throw it out I just slip it over the side of the boat and let the current take it away. I use the looper rig with dip bait . It works great.:lol: :smile2:

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My conservation agent told me about 3 years back to try Sonnys,as he asked me if I was having any luck,when I said no he told me to buy some Sonnys. I did and got some action. I have fished behind the wing dikes on the Missouri and out in the current. I think the biggest was maybe a couple pounds. I have never caught anything to brag about yet. I hooked into one by a brushpile ,and what I was using was a chunk of bloody beef liver and a nightcrawler(I like to go buffet style don't you?:lol: ) and WHAM dang near lost my pole. I had 'im hooked good but I made the mistake of trying to horse 'im in. Live and learn as I won't do that again. He was a biggun!!!:sad2:

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Johnny, I was told long ago that stink bait and dip bait always work best in warm waters. I cant get any decent stink bait or dip bait up here, so i dont bother using it. When i was down in Texas it worked well in water that was in the 70 degree range. Go catch a biggun Buddy!!!!:big_smile:

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Anytime you can get the bait soft enough to go on those rubber worms.Usually around 65-70 degrees.Should be getting awful close.
    And yes I have had real good luck out in the middle of the river with a lot of current. we usually fish around under water dikes/dams when in a boat.
    Anyplace I can get when on land. you have some good bait there. Hope you have lots of luck. Main thing is HAVE FUN !!

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    has alot to do with when it's good to use dip baits.Seems like when the water temp gets below 60 degrees they slow down alot.
    Loop

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John,
    I use Sonny's a lot,and it really works best when the water temps get up to at least 70. I also like to see some current as that will let the bait bleed off,and attract the fish. If you're wanting to catch some nice eating size fish,Sonny's will do the trick. I think the biggest fish I have ever caught off of Sonny's has been 10-12 lbs,but like I said,I've caught a lot of good eating size fish with this bait. BTW,I fish the Mississippi River exclusively for catfish! I don't know anything about the Magic bait that you have,as I haven't been lucky enough to win any yet.LOL Good Luck!
    Glenn

9. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Danny kings punch bait is a real producer too,and also works well with looper rigs,another fine product, fished under a slip float in shallow water works best for me

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have my best luck with Stinkbait, in the heat of the late summer or when the water is 65 deg. or higher.
    :0a22:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for all the replies! I had also heard that the stink/dip baits worked better in the Summer but wanted to ask the best catfishermen/women in the world. I hope to be able to try to use it in about 2-4 weeks. The water temp should be about right and I oughta be healed up by then. I don't wanna try and rush getting out and fishing but its about to drive me crazy!!! I'll let you all know how I do when I get to try it out. Thanks for all the tips and advice!!! You all are the greatest!!!

12. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Short answer when it hits the water. :wink: Here on South Texas lakes we use punch bait like Danny Kings and start serious fishing about 1 st. of October and fish until 1 st. of June. On the river we fish with cut perch. Our river normally dosen't have significant current. The only store bought bait that I have used and had any luck with is Bills cheese bait from Academy. The punch bait works so good and easy that there is not much motivation to try much of the other stuff.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Took a limit of eaters on sureshot punchbait last Monday, water temp. was 60 degrees. We've been getting a lot of rain and the lake is up about a foot, took the fish in flooded willows(foot to foot and a half of water). I have little doubt that I would have caught them on Wicked sticky or Premo SS blood(both favorites). Find yourself some skinny water on a nice sunny day, you might like the results!! Look for pockets or points along the shoreline and don't forget to let the wind work for you if you can..........the more cover I can send my baits scent through, the more fish I catch.

Looper Rig and Premo SS is a tremendous combo on the River here for channels. Anchor above snags and let the scent pull the fish out of the cover, run and gun, don't flog water in the same spot all day. Good luck to ya.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Definatly have to wait until the water warms up to it spreads in the water. Just what I have found though.

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When pigs fly, LOL!!!

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Well i'll be a monkey's uncle! It was on the news yesterday that there were some pigs on a local farm that can fly! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I take it you don't like/use the stuff. Its been 20 years since i've used it and since it was free i'm gonna give it a shot and try it. I'm all up for catching a mess of eater channels!

17. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Honestly,

I usually take a couple spoon fulls and spread em inside the door panel of my wife. When she starts to complain I know that it is warm enough to fish with it.

Let me know how that works out for ya. :big_smile:

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

LMAO! I figure i'll give it a shot down at Greenbo Lake in a couple weeks. That place is loaded with eater sized channels. You can usually wear them out on livers and crawlers so they may hit on stink bait.

19. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck buddy, hope ya tear em up.

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    DK's is working fantastic right now in both the rivers and lakes around here.