When do they turn on.

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by PHLIPS4BIGKATS, Nov 21, 2007.

1. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Hey MO. brothers when in the spring do the skips start turning on real heavy? I would like to plan a trip this spring and catch a big mess of them. My normal days off are friday and saturday. I used them for the first time this year and really like them. Let me know so I can plan ahead. I do have a boat also.

THANKS CHRIS:0a23:

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It depends so much and the water levels are so screwed up right now so it can be hit or miss. But if you keep asking around somebody will have them running in a lake or river by them I'll let you know if they turn on around here.

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Chris, its like Chris said...A lot of it depends on the conditions of the river. In the spring there can be good runs up at Alton (I hear) but for me it was mostly a miss up there. I dont know of much out in western MO but they were running really good last weekend in the evenings down at KY dam. I have also herd that they are running in Cumberland city at the TN steam plant. There is also a get together in KY on January 5th for a breakfast and some skippy fishing. I dont know how good the skippys will be running but the BS'ing should running pretty good. If I had some time off I would head down for a two day or evening trip to Ky dam as soon as you can. If you have any question pm me and I can tell ya more about that place and what worked for me.

4. shkt

shkt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    when is the best time to catch skipjack?

5. flathead03

flathead03 New Member

State:
    IN Indianapoli
    when is the best time to catch them where can you catch then??

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you can fish a steamplant, almost any day is a good day in the cold winter. If you fish below the dams and they are generating good should be the fishing

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Like john catfish young said , find a generating steam plant. Skipjack like to realy pile up in the discharged warm water in the winnter months. Usualy best in the early morning right before and after sunrise.