When do they spawn

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by riv56, Feb 12, 2008.

1. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hi were up here in Pa. would like to know from other fisherman when do these river an lake fish up here start to spawn, is it a certainb water temp. or does it have something to do with the moon. I am ready to get after em but it seems way to early to do that so I will go to the garage an work on the boat a little, get me out of the house.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Gary, different fish species spawn at different times. what are you targeting? The flathead catfish in your area will start to spawn after water temps reach about 70 degrees,(about mid July to mid August).

3. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
  4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don`t know when they spawn but we start catching flatheads on the Mon late March-early April and they can be found concentrated until june, then the real hunt for them begins because they scatter.Have a safe and productive year on the water.

5. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    -Flatheads spawn at 66 to 75 degrees.
    -Flatheads select sites such as hollow logs, excavated caves in clay banks, root masses from downed trees or manmade structures such as old tires, car bodies and metal drums.
    -Flatheads,are less migratory and more likely to be found in the same locales season after season.
    -Concrete revetment also attracts spawning cats. This type of structure is found on big-river navigation systems maintained by government agencies such as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.