When do the hybrid stripers start to run?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by osageCo_flathead, Oct 30, 2007.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was told they go at it twice? We always start to catch them in March. I have never went after them in Nov-Dec.

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I've been looking around and can't find any info on them having two spawns. But I'm no hybrid expert either. I caught my fair share of stripers, but I don't know that I've ever caught a hybrid. I hear they will about jerk the rod out of your hands, though.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jamie- Hybrids do not spawn.

Catman george

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Individuals are produced by artificially spawning a male white bass with a female striped bass.

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jimmyjonny- You are correct. Hybrids will be hitting throughout the winter in Okla

catman george

6. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Actually....(I hate it when my kids start off a sentence with that word)...hybrids can be produced from the female striper/male white bass cross and are referred to as a Palmetto. The opposite cross, male striper/female white bass is referred to as the Sunshine. The palmetto is the original cross.
    While the hybrids can't breed with each other, they can backbreed (is that a word?) with white bass or stripers, whichever is appropriate.
    I guess that is why you will catch a hybrid occasionally in with stripers.

Now, please take out a half sheet of paper and a #2 pencil, put your books under your desk and write your name on your paper while we take the quiz. :wink:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I hear from the local anglers this is the time to go after them. A gentleman told me late October all the way up to the first week in December. The bait store guy say pretty much the same. This is in the Delaware river how accurate I am not sure. I wanna take a poke at them besides the dinkers I never caught a nice one. Whats the prefer bait for these guys besides eel and clams.

8. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I caught a bunch of nice ones last season...a few 10 pounders. We caught them on white 3-4" curly tailed jigs on a spinner head. They destroy about any soft body lure you toss at them so I was glad to see them hit the cheap stuff.