When do the channel catfish shut down because of heat?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by jerseycat9, Jun 6, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    At what temp do Channels shut down if at all im askin it here because there seems to be more of us on the general

2. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Catfish in water temps of 94 to 100 degrees can stress or kill, temperatures at 100 or above are lethal.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Because of other obligations, I usually have to fish during the day...for some reason, the wife likes me home at night, plus we are raising a 3 yr old grandson. So, most of my fishing in the summer is daytime fishing. I caught most of my channel catfish last summer between 2 and 4, the hottest part of the day. But, as summer heated up, they weren't on the bottom, but suspended in 4-8 ft of water.

4. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    yes I agree the hotter it is they do go back to their holes
    so if your lucky you know where they are
    or have a fish finder

5. I really don't think it is the heat per se that shuts them off. The slough in front of me is shallow with a dark gravel bottom and southern exposure so it warms up pretty quick. In the height of summer it is not uncommon to have surface temps in the low to mid 90s for weeks at a time.
    Now I know that areas like this will have a slow to non existant bite so I look for areas that provide temperature shelter for the fish. The places that I have had luck are places with current. Fresh water flowing in, especially from wooded and shaded creeks, breaks up standing water that just sits and heats up. I think the heat often gets the blame though come late summer when lack of rain slows the current and it can't help but start to get warm.

6. D.I.P.

D.I.P. New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    The Hottest Part Of Summer Is When I Catch Most Of My Cats.30 To 40 A Night On The Hottest Days Of Summer.the Heats Only Been A Good Thing For Me.

7. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually catch my channels later in the day

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mid to late July they shut down for me.

9. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    anywhere cover creates shade weather its a boat dock, logjam, big rock outcropping, trees next to the waters edge etc. channel cats dont stop eating just cause it gets hot,they just dont hunt as far or hard, you bet one will take a peice of cutbait when its right in there face